I'm not really up to date on my reality shows (apparently the Sister Wives just had baby #17 and Kate is re-starting her old reality show), but I'm currently watching "19 kids and counting" (for my Dutch readers: a show about an ultra-conservative family with, yes, 19 children), and apparently Michelle (the 1990s-hair-bearing 45-year old matriarch) is pregnant with child number 20.
Number twenty, people, twenty. And their names all start with a "J" too.
According to Michelle and Jim-Bob (her ever grinning husband - and which man wouldn't be grinning, twenty kids means he's not exactly being deprived of anything), each child is a gift of God, and they will keep on having children until God has decided it's enough.
Putting aside the fact that they homeschool so they can teach their children that the world is 6000 years old, man existed at the same time as dinosaurs, they argue that the fact that the world is overpopulated is a myth, and they don't believe in kissing before marriage, doesn't that strike you as just plain..well...odd? Especially if you consider Michelle suffered from pre-eclempsia during her last pregnancy and almost died giving birth to her 19th child at 25 weeks?
Look, I know I'm all about live and let live. You want four wives? Knock yourself out. You want to spend $10k on a wedding dress? Go for it! You want to force your husband out of his bedroom so you can stock up on the 500 bottles of ketchup while couponing? Be my guest. But getting pregnant for the twentieth time while your last child almost didn't make it seems just wrong. Especially when some of us can't even have one child*.
So someone tell me why I'm watching this show?
*Yes, I really am over that. No, I am not suffering from denial. It's just that ridiculous excesses like this drive me insane. Plus husband-dear and I would be way cooler parents than perma-grin Michelle and happy-dopey Jim-Bob. Seriously
5 comments:
I don't watch that show, but I have heard about the 20th child. They should not get the attention they're getting. Bah!
Good grief, what morons. Poor kids!
Laat ons hopen dat hun god niet beslist dat het wel eens welletjes geweest is!
Al die shows waarbij kinderen opgevoerd worden, mogen ze van mij verbieden hoor. Want die kinderen worden toch maar meegesleurd in de stupiditeit van ouders, in hun honger naar aandacht. Eender welke aandacht...
The why is very simple. It's God's will and a woman's duty to bear these true blessings. Even if it kills her or the child. This website is made by women who left this cult: http://nolongerquivering.com/what-is-quiverfull/ and has a lot of info and the most recent post might even explain the grinning.
They are nuts. The last pregnancy where the baby was so premature and clinging to life, and her preeclampsia is a sign that her body is saying enough is enough.
By the way, the kids always look too well behaved, they must be drugged :) I haven't seen the show, but I've seen them on news shows.
Post a Comment