Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tags and Awards

When I started blogging, I thought I would just get on this website every once in a while and inform the world (or at least my mother: hai mam!) about my life. But now that I've been around for a while, I realize that there is so much more to it. There are awards, tags, games, gift-giving, and a myriad of other activities to keep the modern-day blogger occupied. And today's post will be dedicated to two of the activities: an award, and a game of tag.

First, Petra gave me the Creative Blogger award




Thank you!

Apparently, like all other good things in life, this award doesn't come for free either. I now have to tell you all seven things about me that you don't yet know, and give this award to seven other people. Wow.

To make things even better, my friend Wonder Woman tagged me in a game where I am supposed to answer five questions and tag two other people.

Wow. This blogging thing is getting complicated.

But, first things first. Seven things about me you don't know. I don't think there's a lot about me my readers don't know yet, I mean, really, I think I've even mentioned my weight on here at one point. But, I'll give it a try.

1. I was born on Easter Sunday. My mother was a nurse, and joked with the staff at the hospital where she worked that she was going to be the patient they would remember, and deliver on Easter Sunday. And she kept her promise. The fact that she had placenta previa and was in the hospital for four weeks probably helped the "remember me" part just as much though.

2. When I was in school, I always wanted to be a cheerleader. I thought it would be the coolest thing in the world to do. But since I couldn't even get down into a split or do a toe-touch, it was always out of the question.

3. With the exception of green beans (and I'm talking haricots verts, not the disgusting canned green beans they have here), I don't like beans. I do like Mexican food though, only without the beans. Imagine the fun I have ordering in a Mexican restaurant.

4. Until the whole baby-thing fell apart on us, husband-dear and I were really hoping for a girl. We were going to name her Elisabeth Sue, after both our mothers, and call her Elli.

5. I was a field hockey girl for years and years and years. I can't play soccer, can't play volleyball, and generally suck at any sports that involves my bodyparts and a ball. But hand me a long narrow stick and a tiny, hard ball, and suddenly I get it. Still have not figured out how that works.

6. When husband-dear and I first met, we bonded over the fact that we had both lived in really cold places and knew what it feels like when your nostril hair freezes. This was about five minutes after we met. Go figure.

7. I am secretly waiting for a school reunion (of really any of the schools I went to), so I can show the kids who always bullied me that I did turn out pretty OK

Now, the next step would to pass the award on to seven people. The problem with that is, like Annemiek already noted, that most of the bloggers I follow on a regular basis have already received this award, and so there is no way I can come up with seven.

There are a few people I would like to single out, however:

My friend, Wonder Woman. Not only do I love reading about her pregnant musing, she's also the lady who introduced me to the man who introduced me to the woman who ended up introducing me to my husband. So not only does she keep a pretty cool blog, I owe her a lot. With all the men in your home, you deserve this pink girlie award more than anyone.

The mysterious FB+. He writes a pretty interesting blog, and leaves the funniest comments. I hope this award will inspire him (or her) to write on a more regular basis. Fortunately, I get to talk to him (or her) on a far more regular basis, but I think it's about time he (or she) shares some of those musings with the world!

The wonderful Bibi. I love reading her blogs about her life in rural Pennsylvania, the life she is creating for herself, all her wonderful herbal concoctions she makes, and everything else she gets up to.

Now for the game of tag. Apparently, this game of tag involves answering five personal questions, and then tagging two other people. Since I'm sure you can't wait for more personal revelations, here we go.

1. What were you doing ten years ago?
Finishing up my Master's degree and getting ready to go to the University of Texas at Austin. It's funny, I remember that ten years ago I was really debating whether I wanted to pursue an academic career or not (let's just say that a boy was involved). But if I hadn't left for UT (and left said boy behind) I would have never met husband-dear. Or worked at my beloved school. Serendipity. It's all I have to say about that.

2. What are five things on your to-do list?
I have two, one for work, and one for home, so I'll just name the top three from each:
a. Grade Comm 2001 papers
b. Grade Comm 3310 research proposals
c. Prep spreadsheets for final grades
d. Buy Christmas presents husband-dear
e. Take Jimmie to doctor at 1pm
f. Do laundry

3. What snacks do you enjoy?
Chocolate, dropjes, baked barbeque chips, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, cheese (I know, it's weird), and crackers (possibly even weirder).

4. What are the places you have lived?
I'll just provide a selection of five here: Germany, France, Nijmegen (The Netherlands), Texas, and Georgia.

5. What would you do if you became a billionaire?
a. I know this sounds hokey, but husband-dear and I have always talked about starting our own homeless shelter. We once ran into a homeless couple here in town, and they just broke our heart. They were living in their car, were trying to sell us their dog, and seemed so helpless. Husband-dear and I spent the whole rest of the day talking about what we could do to help out people like that, and we came up with a shelter where people could live and learn a trade, get the help they needed, and slowly transition into project housing. We even came up with a name, "Street to Feet". So yes, hokey. But true.
b. Get an in-ground pool. Or a house with an in-ground pool. I'm not picky. I just really want a pool. And since I'll have money to burn, I'll make it heated
c. Get a private chauffeur to drive me to work. No, I wouldn't quit my job. Do you know how bored I would get? I might provide funding for our department to get their own building and administrative staff, but I would not quit.
d. Get husband-dear his waverunner and the kids that four-wheeler they have been begging for.
e. Give lots of it away - would you like a new laptop? We'll get it for you! A new car? Sure! There is no way we could spend it all anyway

Now, the last step in this game involves tagging two other people. Yay! I love passing work on to other people. I think the first person I am going to tag is Cisca, since she recently admitted to liking lists. Sorry girl, you're it! The next person I am going to tag, is going to have to be Bibi again, just because I would love to find out what she would do with a billion dollars.

Well, now that I have fulfilled all of my blogging obligations, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very happy turkey day! May your cranberry sauce be sweet and your giblets disgusting!

3 comments:

Petra said...

LOL on number five, it's exactly like that for me! That stick and ball combination must be magical ;)

Annemiek said...

I love your blog!

Bibi said...

LOL number 6 is hilarious, and so romantic in a weird and funny way:-). While I was reading your list of things you would do if you were a billionaire, I was already thinking about how I would answer that question. Thanks for the award AND tagging me, I'll do my best;-))