I am now absolutely pathetic. I know. I haven't blogged in six days. It's ridiculous. And it will not happen again.
Well, I can't lie to you all. It actually may.
You see, I have ten days left before I have to go back. Correction, I have ONLY ten days left before I have to go back. Ten. Days. Maybe it's eleven, actually. But whatever it is, it's really. Too. Short.
So anyway, during those ten (or eleven) days, I want to stay away from my computer as much as possible. And not because I don't love y'all, or like writing, but because I am a) developing a nice, firm case of "o-m-g my wrist is going to fall off if I stay on this laptop any longer", and I do need it to be healthy in ten days, b) my parents are here, and c) my parents are here.
For those of you who have keeping up with my blog (you rock!), you probably remember that the last time my parents visited, was Christmas 2008. So when they promised to come over this summer for a few weeks, I was very happy.
And I've stayed happy. They arrived two weeks ago, and it's just all been really good. Not only has my Dutch improved by about 200% (I re-learned that the past tense for "hangen" is "hingen", not "hengen"), but we have had some really good times together, such as this past weekend, when we all drove up to north Georgia for a long weekend and a mountain bike race.
Oh, and did I mention that my parents like to clean? And tidy up? And help with whatever else needs done around the house?
I kid you not, they do.
You see, when it comes to cleaning, tidying up, making sure everything around the house is spotless and picked up, and yelling at the kids about leaving their socks on the couch AGAIN, I don't fall far from my mother's tree. Except for the yelling at the kids part ("you just wait, socks are really not such a big deal in the greater scheme of things"), my mother has stepped up to the plate (and then some), and let me tell you, she can stay for good as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure, but I think my mother sees it as a personal affront if I do a load of laundry without asking her for her help. Does she see me heading towards the hamper? She'll beat me to it, load up the washer, transfer it to the dryer, and fold it before I have a chance to say "Please sit down, you're a guest". She runs the vacuum (well, she tells my dad when he needs to run the vacuum), she will help me clean our bathrooms, all the while telling me that she absolutely HATES sitting still.
I'm not sure how they consider this a vacation, but they do. And they keep telling me they like it.
And between shopping trips, floating in our pool, hosting a Dutch coffee, and having more help than I could ever want around the house, I'm pretty happy myself.
Now excuse me while I go and lay around some more.
2 comments:
Tell them that people that like to clean are welcome at our house too :)
My parents are like that too.
Enjoy your computer-free time!!! And Enjoy the visit!!! I don't want to see another blog for the next 10 days :)
My mom always cooks and cleans when my parents are here, and they walk the dog, do the laundry, go grocery shopping, iron our clothes... I never want them to leave! ;-)
Post a Comment