Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Vacationing among the Dutch (part I)

Before I say anything else about this trip so far, I would really like to make a heartfelt, sincere, and above all, urgent appeal to all Dutch women:

Ladies (Dames). For the love of God and all that is good and beautiful on this earth, you have got to stop going along with every fashion fad that comes your way. Really. The leggings underneath dresses thing from last year was bad enough, but at least most women could pull that style off without looking like a "rollade"(pot roast with the bits of twine to keep the meat from falling apart). The current rage, however, where women simply wear skintight leggings with a top, does not provide this level of forgiveness, and ladies, please excuse me for being blunt, it's really, truly, honestly, not working for about 90% of you. If we stop counting girls under 13, then it's not working for possibly 98% of you. And I'm not trying to be mean or spiteful here. I can tell you right now that I would look like a fat little toad in skintight leggings too. But you see, that's why I don't wear them. Just because something is fashionable, doesn't mean I automatically go along with it. In fact, I'm holding on to my boot-cut jeans like they're going out of style (which, as confirmed by my sister in law, hey are in Holland), just because I know they help hide my hips and booty, which, trust me, need lots of hiding. So, women of The Netherlands, please reconsider. Reconsider the fad that is the legging. I beg you.

Anyway, as you can tell, I made it, in spite of the short turnaround. I even managed to get a good swim in, as well as some grocery shopping for my boys, before I left.

I had, apparently, forgotten how fashion-conscious Dutch men and women are, however. As well as how close people live together, how insane bicyclists behave, how small the cars are, how the concept of "personal space" has yet to be invented in this country, and how "excuse me" seems to have been eradicated from most people's vocabulary.

At the same time, I'd also forgotten how wonderful it is to sit in a cafe, have some coffee, and watch the world go by. How awesome temperatures below 85F feel, how nice it is to see family, and to not have to worry about offending someone by cussing. Oh, and above all, how there is a Jamin or at least a "snoep winkel" (candy store) in every town.

In short, besides the scary leggings, life is pretty good right now.

5 comments:

Annemiek said...

I had to look up the legging fashion. It will be over next year.

Anonymous said...

According to my Dutch relatives my clothing was "at least" 2-3 years out of style, so no leggings for me either.
Anyhow, have a great time and enjoy all the goodies at Jamin!
Ida

Anonymous said...

Het zijn geen leggings die nu in de 'mode' zijn, het zijn 'skinny jeans'.
En inderdaad, niet geschikt voor iedereen....
Van de andere kant, niet iets om je erg druk over te maken.
Ik hoop dat je geniet van al het mooie, goede en leuke dat Nederland ook te bieden heeft.
Met groet,
Roos

Petra said...

Hahaha, I had the legging scare too. Thought that was sooooo eighties, but they are back. big time!
Love how I don't have to buy a new wardrobe every year because the colors changed or pants should have a certain lenght or what else.
And so funny I also noticed the personal space thing, or lack of there of. It meant I changed I guess, because did not notice this when I was living there.
Enjoy the long days and the nice temperatures! 104 here today!!!!

Petra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.