Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Italy’s Inconvenient Nap-time


Thanks, DixieChick for asking me to write a guest post! I’ve been meaning to get this off my chest and write about this on my blog, but I kept getting sidetracked. Luckily, Southern Tales is the perfect outlet for my rant! Living in Italy isn’t always paradise.

I like naps just as much as the next person. Actually, that’s a lie. I like naps WAY more than normal people. I like naps so much that my nickname is “Nappy.” True story. Clearly life doesn’t always allow time for a snooze, but when it does, things are good; I’m a happy camper if I can fit in a catnap.

So when I moved to Italy and heard they had a siesta-like approach to afternoons, I was over the moon. In Spain a siesta means, “nap,” and they take their siesta during the hottest part of the afternoon—between 2 and 4 pm, roughly. The concept is great: You eat lunch, finish running your errands, then go home to cool off and take a quick nap; you wake up just in time to start prepping dinner. I fell madly in love with Spain for being in sync with my nap schedule and couldn’t wait to have a built-in naptime every day in Italy.

On paper, Italy’s siesta is even better than Spain’s version. It’s called riposo in Italian, which means, “rest” in English, and it’s from about noon until aound 4 pm. Riposo is a four-hour break in the middle of the day—every day. Like I said, in theory, that sounds like a fantastic plan. In reality, it’s horrible, which says something coming from a die-hard napper.

During that four-hour timeframe almost everything closes. Is your car running low on gas and you need to fill up? Too bad, the gas stations are all closed*. Decide to take a “late” lunch or want a snack in the middle of the afternoon? Should’ve thought about eating before noon since almost all of the restaurants are closed and they don’t have fast food out here (not a bad thing, just not convenient when you’re driving around and you can hear your stomach growl over your car radio). Want to go shopping in the afternoon? Forget about it. Your errands, clothes, crafts, and groceries will just have to wait. Between the hours of 12 pm and 4 pm my little bustling city becomes a ghost town. Of course in the larger (touristy) cities, riposo goes practically unnoticed, but in rural Italy, it’s pretty routine.

Another quirky aspect of living in Italy is that on top of closing for a good chunk of the afternoon, each little Italian town usually closes one or two days a week. Almost everything is closed in my town on Wednesdays, but the town over is closed on Thursdays. Can you see where this can get a little frustrating? Oh, but it gets better…

There are exceptions to every rule since each business is in charge of their own hours. Here’s an example of a store around the corner from our house.
At first glance, it may seem confusing, so I’ll break it down for you in English:

Hours:
Monday: 11 am—2 pm; closed in the afternoon
Tuesday: 11 am—2 pm; 5 pm—10 pm
Wednesday: 11 am—2 pm; 5 pm—10 pm
Thursday: closed all day
Friday: 11 am—2 pm; 5 pm—10 pm
Saturday: 11 am—2 pm; 5 pm—10 pm
Sunday: closed all day

Long story short: riposo sounds like a wonderful idea, but I miss knowing that a business or restaurant will be open during “normal” business hours. We’ve been here for just over eight months and while Italy’s unique way-of-life still annoys me, I’m finally learning how to take a deep breath and just go with the flow. Luckily, the bar next to me is one of the few places that’s open all the time (except all day Sunday and Wednesday afternoons), so if I’m not taking a nap during riposo you’ll most likely find me becoming one with the Italians. I’ll be the loudmouth American drinking wine in the corner.

*Since we are here with military orders, we get gas ration cards that can only be used at certain gas stations. The gas pumps are open during riposo; however, we have to give our rations to an actual person, so we can’t fill up until they re-open. 

1 comment:

jusikarenae said...

hahahahahaha how I miss riposo! By year two Jess you will be used to it and when you come back to America you will think WHAT the heck was I thinking loving this American way!