Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Inspiration, imagination, perspiration

I know that the tradition of using and creating positive quotes and slogans for every situation is catching on in the Netherlands as well, but to me it will always remain a typical American tradition. It seems like here you can’t pass by an office without seeing at least three inspirational quotes plastered to doors and walls. And even though I appreciate the positive attitude, sometimes my Dutch crankiness takes over. That’s when the blatant happiness and over-zealous “we can do it!” attitude makes me want to run for cover. And sometimes I can’t help but wonder if the makers really were such Sesame-street-sunny-day-Barney-I-love-everybody-zealots, or if they were really thinking something else. On days like that, I can waste precious time away by thinking up alternative meanings to all the hippie-love around me.

“In order to fly we have to have resistance” Even though we all know you are really kidding yourself, and there really is no way to make this work, we think it’s great that you just wasting energy trying and believing.

“Don’t stop believing.” Sure, but know when you gotta stop. Please. Or better yet, keep believing, but just start working on something else. For goodness’ sake.

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Caveat: try and limit your enthusiasm to really achievable things. Please. And lay off the caffeine while you’re being enthusiastic. I’m only peeling you off the ceiling once.

“All great thoughts and all great deeds have a ridiculous beginning”. However, not all ridiculous thoughts warrant exploration. And just because you have on ridiculous idea after another, does not mean you are a great thinker.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge”. Absolutely. If you don’t study and fail my class, you’re still really smart as long as you have a wild imagination. Employers are dying for kids who know nothing about the broadcasting industry, but who know how to imagine themselves as successful producers.

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” The future really belongs to those who work hard, study their butt off, and watch you believe in the beauty of those dreams of yours.

“Failure teaches success”. Failure teaches you that sometimes you have simply reached your limit, and you need to stop. And other times, you need to get and try again. And again. And again. Until it hurts.

I don’t mean to sound like a bitter old biddy, but sometimes I worry that all these positive platitudes do nothing to instill a sense of realism in our youth, or anyone else for that matter. In spite of that, though, I don’t like the Dutch Calvinist attitude that “you can’t do it and you never will” anymore than the next person. I appreciate the American tendency to be more upbeat about life. But I’m not sure about surrounding our, at times, struggling students, with empty words that don’t really reflect real life. I worry that all these empty words take away from what it’s really about: that you work really hard, don’t always succeed, and have a hard time even when you do.
And if you’re looking for truly inspirational quotes, please check out this, far more realistic website.

2 comments:

Petra said...

LOL! I love despair.com! Have given people calendars and t-shirts from it. That said, as a photographer, I do love the beautiful pictures that often accompany the motivational quotes.

Annemiek said...

Some of those quotes are too much :)
Thanks for the website, I think that is exactly Bart's kind of humor!
I also have the attitude of 'yeah, right'.