Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

A rock and a mountainside

From a student’s paper:

“After World War I, everyone in Germany was suffering except the Jews. Hitler could not figure out how they were the only ones not going through a depression....In an attempt to do that (purify the world), he created a concentration camp. The concentration camp included those with Down syndrome, African Americans, and Jews”

After having ranted and raged at a co-worker about this fragment, written some very fierce comments in the margin, and brought up the apparent lack of a proper history curriculum in Georgia secondary education with my coordinator, I have nothing left but to be absolutely gobsmacked by the above paragraph.

So how did this come about? Well, I teach a class on propaganda, where one of the assignment is to watch a German propaganda movie and analyze it in terms of propaganda tactics. During the screening I got some very unexpected questions about the war. Questions such as when the second world war began, why it started, what the Jews had to do with it, and how Japan tied into it all. I diligently gave what I assumed to be a brief refresher course on the basics of the second world war. I assumed the students had learned all of this (my kids learned about the holocaust as early as second grade), and had merely forgotten the details among all the other important things they have to keep track of, such as who is dating whom, when the next kegger is, and which club is the hottest in town. But this paragraph really made me wonder if students, and this student in particular, truly understand the basics of one of the worst wars the world has ever seen.

I know that among my students, slavery, the civil war, segregation, and the civil rights movement has always held a primary position in their understanding of American history. After all, these developments defined who and where they are today. However, to state that the Jews were the only ones not suffering after the first world war is ignorant at best, and anti-semitic at worst. And to not understand that world war two was actually a battle where African Americans were not the victims, and to relegate the main victims of that war to a third place in a list where the other the one other target group was never as high high on the Germans’ list (people with Down’s Syndrome) is almost offensive.

I know the student meant no harm. I know this is probably the result of poor education. But part of me also realizes it’s a result of students simply not caring. In their world view, 1940 was a hundred years ago, and the present is far more interesting than something that has only been captured in grainy black-and-white film. And for me that attitude is almost impossible to swallow. The ignorance that fueled the second world war, was the same that allowed segregation, lynchings and racism to persist for so long. How is it that a few students, in spite of all of my explaining, lecturing, and ranting, don’t understand that?

When I visited Auschwitz a few years ago, I took many things away from it, but one lesson I will remember for the rest of my life: Everyone is capable of such atrocities. If you are taught all the wrong (or right I suppose) things, and are cut off from all alternative voices, you too could become programmed into believing some people are simply not human, and thus don’t deserve to be treated as such. And it all starts with ignorance. Not knowing the facts, and not caring about the facts. Only complete understanding of our past, and all of it, can help us prevent such horrors from ever occurring again.

Sometimes I feel like Sisyphus. With a very large rock and an endless mountainside.

5 comments:

+fB said...

If this student fails to understand the distinction between African Americans and those of African descent who were included in the atrocities of the Holocaust, he/she is pretty out of touch. Can this person even find Africa on a map?

Like Bush said, "Is our children learning?"

Petra said...

To be honest, if someone asked me about slavery, everything to do with it, and the civil war before moving to the US, I would have been blatantly and embarrassingly ignorant too. I've done almost all my learning about that while living in the US. My education is Dutch gymnasium and Dutch history one of my interests. I can still recite some of the most important happenings and the years they happened in.
Not to let your student off the hook, but just saying that we learn very selectively in our teenage years. It's what interests us, that sticks and slavery and American history was not it for me at the time.
For me WWII is very important and I have a sad family history on both sides to tell relating to that war. Our kids are therefore very aware and knowledgeable, whether they like it or not, about that war.
Not all depends on the education in school, a lot on what is important at home and what parents teach their kids.
Though I also shudder at the passage you gave, I can, looking at my teens and thinking back to that time for myself, see how a student could write it.

Annemiek said...

I forwarded this post to my kids. Tim is always complaining about learning about history and thinks it is completely irrelevant, and I'm always trying to tell him how it isn't.

Annemiek said...

Hi, nou, ik heb een respons gekregen van Tim en die jongen die me altijd cryptische korte emails stuurt, stuurde dit:
Ok, so you learn the basics. Things like WWII who/what/where/when are important. BUT I think you've made it through your life so far without knowing who Pocahontas was, what she did, when she was alive, or even who she married. Some call her influential in history, and maybe she was. But these are the sort of things they are drilling into us. People just need to know the big important country/world changing events, not the lives of one person who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

"In their world view, 1940 was a hundred years ago, and the present is far more interesting than something that has only been captured in grainy black-and-white film."
Also this made me laugh a little. I think you adults have the wrong idea about us or the education is a lot better. But as far as I can tell 2008-1940=68 years. You see I didn't even need a calculator! He/She is now claiming we are this dumb at math or theres a lot more people than I think that can't subtract 2 easy numbers. And this is the sort of stuff that needs to be taught. USEFUL life skills. You couldent have made it through your life without math but you could without Pocahontas.

And on a third and final note. I found that excerpt funny. It could be that he was trying and this was what he honestly thought happened. Or he could just be making a statement on how this is common knowledge. Or just a joke. Heres an example: I saw an essay (don't remember what class it was for) but you had to describe audacity and go into all sorts of details. Well this person wrote a 2 page essay that consisted of this: "------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Now that is audacity."
Remember that this exam was a pass/fail thing...he got a B+. But this goes to show that not all is what it seems. This kid didn't want to fail, he just wanted to make a point.

Well thats my rant for this morning. Some things that are taught simply can be left alone is my point and always has been. Probably some errors, but its early and good enough. Well see you later.

Dat is het meeste commentaar dat ik ooit van hem heb gekregen via email :)

Monique (Nieuwen Oord) said...

En zo zie je dat je zelfs de jeugd aan het denken hebt gezet! Ik vraag me af hoe grondig zelfs veel jongeren hier in Nederland les krijgen over de zo belangrijke WWII. Mijn jongste doet Atheneum met geschiedenis, ik mag hopen dat ze er nog veel aandacht aan besteden. Maar bij de oudste die MBO-agrarisch doet, vraag ik me echt af wat er ooit aan gedaan is. En ook hij is over vier jaar hopelijk afgestuurd HBO-er.

Ik heb zelf VWO-geschiedenis gedaan met als examenspecialisatie het interbellum, de periode tussen de wereldoorlogen in. Dat was superinteressant, want in die jaren zit alles waardoor het zover heeft kunnen komen. En ja, ik was geïnteresseerd in Amerika dus heb scripties geschreven over de Amerikaanse Burgeroorlog. Maar veel medeleerlingen snapten echt niet wat ik daar nou mee moest. North & South was toch ook op TV?

Weer een superstuk trouwens!!