DixieChick is a wonderful accident. After earning an "arts van filosofie" in Social Science with a minor in "konijn-tonijn" studies, she joined the American military and moved to
Our workplace is very old fashioned and traditional. This tends to rub DixieChick the wrong way. She is quick to explain that, "in
· Her students' excuses are valid
· Her supervisors know what they're doing
· The humanities and social science approach are equally valid
· Whitey is always to blame
· She's being unreasonable
· One should work six days a week
No progress, yet, but I'll keep y'all posted. I'm not just picking on DixieChick for fun, though. She is really sui generis. As I'm sure you're aware, she commutes 3 hours a day in her little car. She's at work every morning before nearly anyone else in our building. I usually arrive a little later than the bulk of our neighbors, but even if I come in at 8 o'clock sharp, she's already there. I think she's there at 7am. Only a few times have I ever made it in before her, usually because something catastrophic has happened, like she hit a flock of geese on the highway, or had to run a 5k before she got ready to come to work. As a consequence of coming in so early, and from so far away, she does end up being the first person to leave the office each day. After I come back from a lunchtime meeting or session, I'll look around and wonder, "where is Dr. D?" Gone! But her commute and hours are far from being the strangest things about this perfectly accentless professor. She is wonderfully quirky, and gets very excited about small things. She was hopping up and down just the other day in my office, excited over received a shipment of Dutch candy. Having someone goofy (but "normal" in the ways that matter) at work to talk with about the funny and odd details of life keeps me sane. She is an entertaining coworker/friend/weird foreign person. One that faithfully gives me full updates on how many kilometers miles she ran/biked/swam (it makes me tired!). She likes to shout down the shared and reverberant hallway at no one in particular, not caring who hears her acting out Family Guy lines, cursing out her Senior Project students, or threatening to poison the departmental secretary. The great thing about DC's quirks, though, is that I can pick on her ad nausuem, to the point where it would annoy or insult most people, and she doesn't care. She even thinks it's funny sometimes. I've found that she has a very thick skin and an absurd sense of humor. Try as I might, I haven't been able to make her cry. Apparently only bureaucrats, immigration officials, and our IT staff have the ability to produce DixieChick tears.
Students fear her for her challenging courses, but they also realize she's a damn good teacher. She pours her heart into the classroom, and when she's not in the classroom, she's poring over her notes, examples, assignments, and teaching strategies. Next year, she'll be eligible for a teaching award…
So now you've gotten the "Steve" perspective on your favorite blogger. Everything you've read in Southern Tales is true. About every morning over coffee, DixieChick will shout through the paper-thin walls: "BLOG'S UP!"
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Steve Speaks out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Steve, that is funniest and sweetest blog. And just for the record: I am right. Always :P Now where is my dang coffee??
She is most fun when you arrive home at 8 AM after partying all night, and have to take an exam at 9 AM. But I'm sure you already knew that...
Oh and do ask her to cry like a wolf, she's very good at that too!
Hilarious!
Ik heb soms wat moeite met reageren, vraag me niet waarom, maar ik geniet met volle teugen van dit blog, telkens weer!
Monique
Brought tears to my eyes ;) (from laughter). Clearly, DC is living up to our national credo: I'm not opinionated, I'm just Dutch ;).
So I gather that Dutch people are stubborn? :-D
That's sweet, and fun to read about other sides that we don't see :)
Post a Comment