Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm sorry

No, this is not a blog where I'm going to be apologizing for something in 500 words or less. I mean, I can if you would like me to, but that wasn't really my purpose. Today, I wanted to talk about "I'm sorry" as the one quintessential American expression that I have grown to love, and the fact that it has recently come to my attention that Americans seem to have more grace in their right pinkie than a lot of Dutch people in their entire bodies.

As all of you regulars know, 2009 was not exactly a year husband-dear and I care to remember. There was obviously the whole baby-gate, which really ripped a whole in the fabric of normalcy. But on top of that our family also suffered through bully-gate, the loss of a grandmother, several good friends who moved away, the fact that we won't be moving for at least another couple of years, and then if we do, Oklahoma looks like a good bet, a child just positively struggling in school, the fact that six, yes, six of our nearest and dearest are pregnant, and the less than thrilling news that several of our closest friends might possibly be moving too. In short, 2009 was not the best of years.

But I'm not writing all this down again to get sympathy. And you know what? I probably will get very little from most of my Dutch readers anyway. At least nothing that will really make me feel better. They will say things like, "you will find new friends", or "you can't blame your friends for getting pregnant", or "well, that's what you get for making friends with people in the military", or "well, you made the decision to work as far away from home as you did". And I don't mean to offend any of my close Dutch friends, but I have really had to come to the conclusion that the American "I'm sorry" followed up with a "would you like some tea?" or "that really sucks", or even "let's go and yell at some students, that will make you feel better" works so much better.

When I first moved to the US, a long long time ago, I never quite understood what they meant when they said, "I'm sorry", and I often found myself responding with, "Well, it's not your fault!". But Americans aren't actually trying to apologize, they're trying to say, "well that just sucks eggs" without sounding like they're thirteen years old. They want you to know that even though they may not know what to say to make it better, they feel for you. Because let's admit it, when someone tells you that they can't have children, or their best friend just moved to the panhandle, or their grandmother died, the majority of us don't know what to say to make it all go away. And in fact, there isn't anything to say. And Americans acknowledge that, very gracefully too, by saying they're sorry for you.

In my experience, Dutch people have a much harder time being gracious about acknowledging they don't know what to say. They want you to feel better, and so instead of acknowledging the incredible suckiness of your situation, they do one of two things. One option is that they start offering up solutions and dishing out unwanted advice. "Have you considered IVF?"(IVF? Really?! What's that? Because in all my perusing of fertility issues, I have -never- run across that option or considered it), or "How about meeting people outside the military?" (and do tell me how that works in a military town), or "Why don't you just move to a base in Holland?" (Why don't you just move to Georgia? Oh, you can't? Well, there is your answer). The other option involves somehow trying to shift the blame to you; "Well, you knew what you were in for when you married husband-dear" (yes, you know, this pesky little thing called love got in the way), or "You agreed to move to Georgia" (I don't really think "agreeing" is the term you want to use in our scenario), or "You did raise those kids to be way too soft" (OK, I thought I was raising them to be compassionate and friendly adults, but sure, if too soft means they won't beat the crap out of their bully, then yes, they are too soft), or "You never wanted children anyway" (and what did we say about people who can't change their minds? Right..).

I'm not sure why most Dutch people do this, but I can speculate (very well, actually), and I don't think their intent is all bad actually. I think it has something to do with them feeling really bad for you, and wanting to make your problem go away instantly. And that's very commendable. Unfortunately, very few of them go about it in a graceful manner. And yes, it's hard to realize that people may just want support, and not a solution, but how about trying a graceful, "I'm sorry"? Or even a "Wow, that is really terrible"? It's short, it's sweet, and above all, it makes the recipient feel better. And isn't that what the conversation was all about in the first place?

And now, to all my Dutch friends: I know you're not all like that, but I just had to let this out.
I'm sorry.

9 comments:

Vic said...

Sounds like you have mainly been talking to Dutch men! It's typically male behaviour to come up with solutions instead of just listening to someone and feeling for them.
I still think that women will stretch the compassion, even in the Netherlands. Can't really remember how many times I've said "wat rot voor je", "wat stom", "wat erg" or even "ik weet even niet wat ik moet zeggen, behalve dat ik met je meeleef".
But hey, I've never actually counted.

Petra said...

You caught on to one of my weak points here.
I don't really get the ' I am sorry" thing yet although I am getting there and found myself saying it already.

But the first time DH said it when I got frustrated about living here, I wanted to strangle him.
Wanted answers, not hearing that he was sorry and felt guilty for me moving here.

Took me a while to understand what he meant on moments like that.

Riet said...

Je hebt helemaal gelijk. De meeste Nederlanders weten niet hoe om te gaan met slechte berichten. Tot ze zelf een keer in een dergelijke situatie terecht komen en zich ook rot ergeren aan de anderen die niet weten hoe te reageren. Je krijgt echt de meest rare adviezen en opmerkingen naar je hoofd. En als je dan zegt dat je daar niet van gediend bent, worden ze nog boos op je ook. Terwijl je soms alleen maar even je hart wilt luchten. Ik wens je veel sterkte voor het komende jaar en heel veel 'I'm so sorry for you'.

Anonymous said...

I love the "I am sorry" thing. It is so much more sympathatic than "let me quickly fix this for you" thing.

And yes, I am sorry that 2009 was rough!

Gal said...

Zonder als onbekende 'lurker' je gelijk op de sofa te willen leggen en je psyche te ontleden lijkt me toch dat hier wat onverwerkte issues spelen ;) Maar dit is misschien precies de reactie die je zo haat ;( Ik kon het echter niet laten te reageren, want mij wordt altijd gezegd dat ik er niks aan kan doen als ik sorry zeg. Ik ben een notoire 'sorryzegger' en dat wordt niet begrepen. Mischien klinkt het in het Nederlands gewoon niet charmant genoeg of zijn Nederlanders te nuchter om de subtiliteit op te pikken. Ik weet het niet. Anyway. Sorry dat life sucks. En, then you die.
Wat ik persoonlijk ook altijd reuze irritant vind als mensen om jou te troosten vertellen wie het allemaal nog erger getroffen hebben. Alsof dat het voor jou beter maakt. Niet dus, maar ja, zeg dat maar eens recht voor zijn raap als je allerlei ellende te horen krijgt (alsof je dan zelf niet meer mag 'zeuren'). Maar goed. Hier schiet je ook weinig mee op waarschijnlijk en om 'the silver lining' te vinden en te zeggen dat het dus waarschijnlijk alleen maar beter kan worden is ook een dooddoener van heb-ik-jou-daar. Sorry dus en sterkte met verwerken. Schouder en zakdoek aanwezig indien gewenst.

Petra said...

Sorry... Helaas ben ik ook van het type ik wil een reden, oplossing en graag zo snel mogelijk. Liever eigenlijk geen woorden in veel gevallen maar daden. Dus net als de andere Petra die hierboven gereageerd heeft. En ja ik zeg ook wel vaker sorry nu, ik begin het te leren, maar toch vervolg ik vaak met iets in de trend, kan ik iets voor je doen. Of een virtuele hug voor jou in dit geval.
Hopen dat 2010 veel beter voor jullie zal worden (zie je, zit ik toch stiekum nog een zin er aan vast te plakken)

Anonymous said...

Ik ben een Vlaamse, dat is natuurlijk heel erg anders dan een Nederlandse. ;-)
Meestal in situaties die ik erg vind, combineer ik beide. Dan zeg ik dat ik dit heel erg vind, of dat ik niet eens weet wat ik moet zeggen om je te kunnen troosten.
Maar ik kan ook niet voorbij gaan aan mijn praktische aard, waardoor ik gelijk ga kijken of er misschien uitwegen zijn, of dingen om je af te leiden,... Niet dat ik denk de gesprekspartner bepaalde oplossingen ook al niet zelf gevonden had, maar eerder als een vorm van gespreksopening. Want praten werkt! Dat zeggen ze toch.

En join the club: we hebben 2009 ook unaniem uitgeroepen tot ons ergste jaar ooit. Je kan je niet inbeelden hoe blij en opgelucht wij dit jaar geklonken hebben op 2010, in de hoop dat dat nieuwe cijfer ook een breuk zou mogen betekenen met al het trieste/slechte dat zich de voorbije jaren opgehoopt heeft om in 2009 als een overrijpe puist uit te barsten.

Dus: ik vind het heel spijtig dat er dingen in je leven gebeuren die maken dat je je er triest en ongelukkig bij voelt. Of hulpeloos.
En oplossen kan ik het ook niet (dat is ook helemaal jouw vraag niet).
Maar ik kan het lezen, soms heel duidelijk, soms tussen de regels door. En weet dan dat er iemand is, duizenden kilomters bij je vandaan, die je op dat moment even een dikke knuffel of een schouder geeft. En hopelijk voel je dan een stukje van dat medeleven en de kracht die ik je dan wil geven.

Aliza said...

I embrace my 13-year-oldness and say"oh, hunny bunny, that's sucktastic!" I agree with Vic, it is a very male thing to try to fix the problem instead of just l-i-s-t-e-n...

Annemiek said...

Misschien is het de Nederlandse nuchterheid of die drang om alles maar zo normaal mogelijk te hebben.
Misschien is het een andere manier van het uitdragen van medeleven.
Hugs!