Now, look, I know that half of you have been buried in the white stuff up to your shoulders since about December 1. In fact, I'm pretty sure that many of you haven't been properly dry or warm since Christmas. And so our measly three inches pales in comparison to your arctic experience. I recognize and acknowledge all of that. I do. Really. I used to live in New England, I know snow and how much it can suck. However, having said all of that, I would like to point out that we live in a subtropical climate. We have 100 degree summers, and think nothing of it! We have palmtrees in our front yard! A special Georgia-summer-proof-type of grass that dies in the winter! We are used to spending Christmas Day on our back porch and Valentine's Day eating chocolate while laying on our porch swing! Snow simply does not fit into our idea of winter. So this past weekend was a real shocker. Stores closed early, and did not open until well into the afternoon on Saturday, which although it really affected my ability to run my errands on Saturday morning, and did have me wondering about the level of ballsiness of the locals, is perfectly understandable. I mean, these are people who have never seen snow like that before in their life.
And in light of all of that, I couldn't resist but take some pictures of the crazy winter wonderland that was our town. All the snow was gone by Sunday morning, the snowmen made by the neighborhood kids were reduced to tiny little lumps with scarves, buttons, and sticks laying on the ground, and our backyard has now truly turned into a mudpuddle, but we for a few short days, we felt part of the snowmagaddon too.
The front- and backyard. It started snowing about 2pm, and didn't stop until about ten at night. The dogs thought the snow was absolutely wonderful. The odd-looking round patch in the back corner is where the pool sat during the summer. We planted rye grass there which remains green all year round, thus leaving our backyard with something that can be best described as a crop circle.
Our new buckeye tree all covered in snow.
And a little video of the snow coming down at around four. It's amazing to think that in a few months I'll be floating around in my mini-pool, lamenting the heat!
4 comments:
Nice! I really like the color of your fence. Odd thing to say, but it looks cool. Hope the dogs had fun in the mysterious white flakes from the sky!
More white flakes are falling here, I'm ready to move to the South, oh wait, no guarantee of no snow there either ;). I heard that on Saturday morning (I believe it was), there was snow on the ground in all fifty states.
Wow. Can't image we sat outside just 2 weeks earlier...
Your backyard is HUGE! Time for a real pool :)
Post a Comment