Especially my babes. Well, my step-babes, technically, but who's counting.
I've blogged about this before, and can't find the exact post right now (of course), but apparently my kids share my less than blissful view of the south. Now please don't roll your eyes and say "duh" (or if you must, do so quietly), because you have to believe that I am really careful around my kids. I realize that my views of the south are possibly slightly demented, so I try to make absolutely sure that the kids know that there are two sides to every story, and that there are good reasons for everything. Now the kids don't express their thoughts on this matter a whole lot, but when they, it's hilarious (and thus blogworthy).
The last time I dedicated a blog to them (and I will recoup this, since I can't seem to find this post), they were not only discussing how, since the south uses the word "y'all", they should really use "w'all" too, but also why there really is no reason for people to wear camo outfits to Walmart. They were talking about this when they thought husband-dear and I weren't listening, and it was hilarious. This time, it was just two small statements, but they had us in stitches (quietly, of course, as we really don't want to encourage this kind of behavior).
First, the eldest, Ozzie, while we were driving to town, noticed the sticker on a truck in front us. It was an image of Calvin urinating on the words "gun control". His exact words, if I'm not mistaken, were, "Dad? Is that really a picture of Calvin peeing on gun control?"
"Yes son, it is."
Silence.
Then, "Really? I mean, really? He's pulling out his...and...well...oh wow..wow. I mean, not that I'm all in favor of gun control. Or against it. Or whatever it is when you think people should own guns but not like really anything they want. I'm not, I mean. Whatever. You know what I mean. But sheesh. What will that guy's kids think? That you should just, well, pee on everything?"
What can I say, I love that kid.
Then the youngest, Jimmie, piped up during dinner. Completely out of the blue, and totally unrelated to anything we were talking about, he suddenly said, "Do you know that in the south you can say anything you want to anybody, you can even insult them, as long as you end it with 'Bless your heart'? Did you know that?"
And actually, I didn't know that. Never even thought about it, but realized immediately that he a had a point. As did Jimmie apparently, since he jumped in right away, "Yeah! Like you can tell people, 'your child is so wild and rambunctious, he's just insane. Oh, bless his heart."
Needless to say, the two boys spent the next few minutes coming up with the most terrible insults, and ending with "Bless his/her heart".
It was awesome. They're awesome. A little crazy, and they take after their stepmomma way too much, but bless their hearts, you know?
3 comments:
Die zou je eens moeten uitproberen op je werk ;-)
LOL! I'm going to try the 'bless your heart' thing today!
Geweldig. Wat een rake observaties!
Post a Comment