Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The first

All it takes is a few grills, one enormously varied collection of fish, one fire pit, eight assorted neighbors and their children, a variety of alcoholic beverages, and before you know it, poof! another year has passed by. I was debating writing one of those nostalgic "oh, look at all the cool stuff I did in 2011" posts yesterday, but then an invitation to a friend's house and a fondue party got in the way, and it never happened. As I'm fairly certain that blog etiquette eschews writing a nostalgic post recapturing all those winning moments any later than the first of the year, and I really don't have enough winning moments to write about anyway, I threw that idea out the window.

But then I realized that today is the beautiful date of 1/2/12, and I really had to post something on that day. Now for those of you living in countries where they actually organize dates in a logical, hierarchical manner (you know, day, month, year), my apologies. I realize you have to wait a whole month before you all get to write 1/2/12, so I'm sorry for whetting your appetite this early on.

However, when posting on the -second- day of the year, a day which was pretty much spent doing nothing (and battling an epic storm on a 30 mile bike ride), what is there to write about, besides some sort of entertaining analysis of the previous year? So, as I was doing the dishes just now, I realized that although I talk to you guys about all the races we do, the papers I present, my students, the review-nightmares I go through, I never really talk about my smaller, yet equally important triumphs. Upon consideration, I have done a number of things in the past year that I never thought I would do, and what better to way to waste the next five minutes of your life than to read about them.

1. I've started to bake. For real. As in from scratch, with recipes that involve more than "add water an two eggs to content bag and stir". As in I now have several index cards written by me in my recipe book (and in case anyone is interested in a good carrot cake, apple pie, or peanut butter cookie recipe, I got them!). And to top it all off, I just, after finishing up another bag of chocolate-covered pretzels, decided that is going to be my next project.

2. I am the proud owner of a sewing machine. I don't know how to use it, and I have still to put on my buttons, or sew up my own throw pillows (why struggle when one's husband is so skilled with needle and thread), but, people, there is a sewing machine in my house. And I've voiced a desire to learn how to use it. And as my mother can tell you, that has been a long time coming. I'm not sure when I'll find the time to piece all those quilts I will learn how to make, but, people, there is a sewing machine in my office. That in itself is a miracle.

3. I'm sort of over the baby thing. Not sure why or how, but this summer I realized that for the first time in two years I was really OK with the whole "you can't have any kids" reality. I still don't do baby showers, and please don't ask me to change your baby's diaper, because, yeah, I won't (seriously, if I can't have the pleasures, why would anyone think I'd love to share in the misery?), but I can actually walk into a kids' clothes store without tearing up, and revel in the fact that if I don't sleep well, it's all on me.

4. I am finally the proud owner of a well-organized dresser. You may remember that last year, one of my new year's resolutions was to organize all of my pantyhose and knee-highs. Well, not only am I now the proud owner of a well-organized pantyhose-drawer, but thanks to a sudden outburst in organizational madness, the other five drawers could serve as models in an Ikea catalog. There's enough little containers and boxes to keep several toddlers occupied for an entire Christmas morning, and although sometimes getting out a specific pair of pajamas requires moving the contents of the entire drawer the floor, it's organized.

5. Those scars I earned at that adventure race back in 2010? The one that involved bushwacking through acres of thistles and brambles where my legs came away looking like a patchwork quilt? Well, thanks to some serious anti-stretchmark cream (and thanks to #3, I no longer get upset when purchasing it), they're gone. I can now show my legs without wondering what people will make of all the lines and scratches, or worrying that the sun will permanently burn them into my skin.

Well, there you have it, 2011 summarized in five minor triumphs. I would love to tell you I have some seriously lofty goals for 2012, but apart from winning the lottery so I can pay a chauffeur to drive me to work every day, I'm really just fine.

Happy belated new year!

2 comments:

Annemiek said...

Those are some wonderful accomplishments for the year!
But really? A 30 mile bike ride makes for a day that you did "nothing?"
That 1/2/12 was hellish to write all day at work by the way!

Elke said...

Na al dat positieve nieuws mag ik even de negatieve noot voeren: ik word hier gek van die datumnoteringen! Bij onze zuiderburen houden ze zich aan 1 systeem, maar hier in Canada mixen ze dus het Europese en het Amerikaanse systeem door elkaar, je hebt er dus altijd het raden naar welke notering ze gebruiken, tenzij de notering begint met een cijfer groter dan 12. Zucht...

Mooie verwezenlijkingen heb je gehaald! Dus volgend jaar rond deze tijd willen we lezen wat je ondertussen naaide met je naaimachine.
En wil je misschien ook even reclame maken voor die creme, want dat lijkt me wel handig om eentje te hebben die niet alleen zegt wat hij doet (nadat je een fortuin betaalde, waarna blijkt dat jouw litteken toch net wel een andere aanpak nodig had).