Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter slump

Before I type anything else, I should probably warn you that this is my very first post from my most awesome Christmas present (cue drum roll), my IPad, so it's very possible that the entire layout is going to be incredibly weird. Sorry about that, but right now, I love my new toy too much to go get my laptop.

Anyway, as you all know, I am big on writing what you know. And so today, that is what I am going to do. I am going to tell you about my winter slump. You know, that time right after Christmas when you just don't feel like yourself. And just like millions of other people, my 2012 started off with a winter slump.

But, once again, I have the sinking suspicion that I am probably not experiencing your average winter slump. Maybe I'm wrong, but when you experience a slump, does that usually not entail lying around, not feeling like doing much, and letting your usual routine slide? Well, in my case, I feel like I'm suffering from a winter-slump-slash-OMG-Armaggedon-is-upon-us experience. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I currently more closely resemble the Tasmanian Devil than a hibernating bear.

So what does a Dixiechick winter slump look like? Well, instead of waking up on Friday morning, and realizing that yay! You get to swim instead of teach unwilling undergraduates today, you wake up, snarl at the clock, grumble at your husband, and spend a half an hour in the pool wishing you were in bed. You spend every mile of your ten mile run the next day wondering why!? The!? Heck?! You?! Are?! Doing?! This?!, and hate every single mile of your 36-mile ride today. In the meantime, you still clean the kitchen cabinets, cook for your small group, and do laundry, and you in fact look for more chores to fill your days off, as sitting around only makes you realize you are in The Slump, and therefore Nothing is fun. At all. Subsequently, the baseboards have been dusted, the corners in the bathroom scrubbed, and the blinds are dustfree. But are you able to sit back and enjoy all your hard work? No, as that is The Slump.

And then your poor husband asks what you would like to do instead, since what you're doing now is obviously not making you happy, and you snap, "You know as well as I do that there is nothing fun to do around here, except exercising, and I already did that.".

That, my dear readers, is my winter slump. Let's all hope it passes quickly.

2 comments:

Elke said...

Ik denk dat het best frustrerend en deprimerend is, als je ergens woont in een gebied waar je intellectueel en cultureel niet echt aan je trekken komt, indien dat wel iets is waar je als persoon veel plezier aan beleeft. Dus dat je dan in zo'n dip komt, is niet verwonderlijk. Maar wat doe je er aan?... Vanwege de job van je echtgenoot kan je niet zomaar de boel pakken en verhuizen...
Ach, in ieder geval is je huis netjes aan de kant. ;-) Toch beter dus dan wanneer je apatisch in de zetel zou hangen.
Hoe lang wonen jullie nu al ginder?

Annemiek said...

That's some hard working slump!