Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let them eat cake!

If there is one thing I absolutely, wholeheartedly, unequivocally do not like about my newly adopted country, it's the bread. I'm sorry America, but compared to a French baguette, or a Dutch Tijgerbrood, or even a German Kaiserbrotchen, your bread just does not make the cut. You make great burgers, an awesome Caesar salad, and the best biscuits and gravy I ever had, but don't count on winning any prizes for your bread.
I'm sorry.

Luckily for me, husband-dear shares my dislike of American bread. And after trying every single brand of bread in our local commissary as well as our local Publix, we've had to come to the conclusion that American bread is just not for us. It's too heavy, too sweet, and the texture is just not right. Bread is supposed to be light, airy, chewy, and definitely not sweet. Oh, we'll always keep a loaf of something whole-wheaty and healthy in the freezer, just in case one of us gets a sudden craving for a PB&J sandwich, but let's be honest here, it's kept in the freezer because we know it will probably last us about two weeks if not more, by which point it would have gone moldy had it been kept anywhere else but in subzero temperatures.

But as we all know, bread is an excellent source of carbohydrates. And as we also all know, husband-dear and I are insane health-tri-freaks. So we need carbohydrates at least every once in a while. And if you don't like bread, the options you're left with (pasta, potatoes, rice), smack more of a major dinner than a quick after-exercise snack. And truth be told, we both missed having a good sandwich. Like the kaiserbrotchen with cream cheese and salmon we used to have for lunch in Germany. So when our tax return came in earlier this month, we decided to splurge and bought ourselves a bread-machine.

This bread-machine was going to be the end of all of our bread-related troubles. We were going to make healthy, airy, chewy, right-textured wheat bread that was going to knock your socks off. Our bread was going to be the envy of the neighborhood, and people were going to be begging us for more. Several of our friends make their own bread using a bread-machine, and they love it. Their bread is awesome. I also remembered several of my good friends back in Holland spending about five minutes each night pouring flour and water into their machine, only to produce the most delectable bread ever.

It was going to be a piece of cake.
Was.
Because it's not. Holy crap. Making bread is hard.
We're now on loaf number three, and we've yet to make one that looks AND tastes alright. We can apparently either make a bread that looks like a turd and tastes great, or a loaf that looks great but tastes like your regular Walmart Great Value whole wheat. And not to be a prima donna here, but don't you at least want your bread to resemble an actual loaf? And not some gnarly knots of baked wheat? I mean, call me picky, but my bread needs to look like bread, or at least somewhat resemble it.
Not only are the recipes horribly complicated, requiring gluten, yeast, sugar, salt, special flour, butter, and water, even if you follow them to a "t", your bread still does not come out right. And trust me, between husband-dear and I, there's enough anal retentiveness to make sure we REALLY follow the recipe.

So right now we're looking into alternative bread recipes. Ones involving oil. Or something odd called lecithin. Or perhaps asking our friends in Holland to send us that "all in one flour" where all you do is add water. Or possibly sending our bread-machine back to where it came from.
Either way, the bottom line is that we still haven't solved our bread problem.

Perhaps we should take after Marie Antoinette, and just eschew the bread completely and eat cake.
Hrumph. 

6 comments:

Cisca said...

Haha, we have debating for ages if we should get a bread-machine. I am waiting to see how it works for you!

Do you have a Whole Foods down there in the deep south? We like their harvest bread. It is okay, even though it is not a French baguette, a Dutch Tijgerbrood, or a German Kaiserbrotchen...

Annemiek said...

Totally agree with you! Bread is either too expensive or it doesn't taste right, so I also bake my own bread.
This is the recipe that I use almost every day:

- 1 cup of water + 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into chunks straight from the refrigerator (using room temperature butter is too much of a hassle and this works fine :))
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or a little less)
- 3 cups of flour. Only bread flour makes white bread, 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour makes whole wheat bread.
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast.
Mix in whatever seeds you like and press "start".
It works like a charm for me!
You might want to leave off the two extra teaspoons of water since you're living in a humid climate, just experiment and see what you like.
I get my bread flour and yeast at Costco, $7 for enough yeast to last half a year and around $10 for 20lbs flour.

I also have this book for more exotic breads: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bread-Machine-Easy-Delicious-Recipes/dp/0600617351, and all the recipes I've tried work very well.
I also found some recipes online for raisin bread, banana bread, chocolate bread with almonds and corn bread. Let me know and I'll email them to you!

DixieChick said...

@ Cisca> I will. It seems like making white bread is no problem at all, but we'd prefer wheat bread.

@ Annemiek> Whoa! That is an awesome receipe! Do you not use gluten at all?

Annemiek said...

No, no gluten at all. It just occurred to me that the original recipe didn't have the two extra tablespoons water, and it also had an extra half teaspoon of yeast. It also called for powdered milk but I don't use that as I really don't notice the difference.
According to me :-) bread needs fluid, fat, sugar, salt and yeast - everything else is optional.
It takes a bit of experimenting and it also depends on where you live (altitude, humidity) and on the breadmaker what works best!

Sylvia said...

Ik heb dit recept 3 jaar lang (dagelijks!) gebruikt. Belangrijk is dat alle ingredienten op kamertemperatuur zijn. en maak je niet druk om dat rauwe ei. Nog nooit iemand ziek geworden.
Succes!
http://www.weekmenu.blogspot.com/2007/07/halfje-bruin.html

Elke said...

Voor zover ik in Belgie ervaren heb, kan ook je oven zelf een grote invloed hebben op het resultaat. Diverse mislukte dingen gehad, maar nooit als ik de Panasonic gebruikte.
https://panasonic.ca/english/appliance/kitchen/breadmaker/SDRD250W.asp