When I spoke to a close friend two days ago, she asked me if I could write something about the similarities between Dutch people and Americans. According to her, all I really seemed to do was underline the differences, while there had to be some things they had in common.
When I thought about all the different topics I have written about here, I realized that she was right; all I seem to do is describe how people or things in the Netherlands are different from American people and things. Granted, there are a lot of differences between the two countries, but they are both developed, well-to-do western nations, so they have got to have something in common besides the fact that they are both populated with humans.
My focus on the differences can probably be blamed on academics. More specifically on one class that I took a long time ago on identity formation. This is where I learned that in order to create one’s identity, one has to be aware of an “other”, a person, or a group of people that one is not like and does not want to be like. I know this sounds vague and probably slightly like I’m one sandwich short of a picnic, but think about it. Try to tell yourself right now how you experience being a woman, a man, a mother, a believer, or really anything that you consider an identifying characteristic of yourself. If you just tried explaining what’s it like to be a woman, you probably ended up using the characteristics of a man to explain what you are and what you’re not (you can sit down when you use the bathroom, you have to spend more time on your hair, you have to shave your legs but not your face, you’re more likely to encounter gender discrimination, and so on). The bottom line is that in order to know who you are, you need to know what and who you’re not, and don’t want to be. I think that what’s been happening in this blog is that I’ve been pointing out the differences between my two homes in order to decide who I am, what I do want to keep from my “old” home (roundabouts and bicycling everywhere), and what I want to retain from my “new” home (politeness, the weather, the students).
But for the sake of my good friend, I did, for just a day, discard my tendency to only consider differences between the US and the Netherlands. So I started to ponder what Americans and Dutch people have in common. I have to tell you, I considered this for quite a while, and found it really hard to come up with examples. Stating that both peoples like to eat and listen to music seemed a little too simple, but when it came to finding shared cultural codes, I really struggled to find similarities. However, I finally managed to think of a few. Well, one actually. It’s sad, I know, but there you go.
The one shared characteristic that came to mind were the differences between the north and the south of both countries (and once again I managed to squeeze some differences in there). I think that after having lived in both places in both countries I can conclude that people in both places share some similarities. Sure, the southern part of the Netherlands will, unless global warming really persists, probably never grow cotton, and the people in the northern states in the US never lived in huts made of peat, but the people are somewhat the same. For one thing, northerners, whether they’re Dutch or American, tend to be sticklers for punctuality and efficiency, which unfortunately can’t always be said for southerners. When I taught at a university in the Netherlands, and a student was late for class or an appointment, we almost always assumed the student was from the south, simply because we knew they lived by a concept known as the “southern 15 minutes” (Brabants/Limburgs kwartiertje). In Georgia people don’t appear to take time as seriously as people up in New England either, and they appear far more laid back about being on time and taking care of things in a speedy and efficient manner (and honestly, why rush if you can sit on your porch with some sweet tea?). Moreover, southerners in both countries tend to be less direct and more polite than their northern counterparts. Southerners in both countries will say “Sure, no problem honey”(although Dutch people will probably leave off the honey), even when something can’t be done, while people in the north will tell you why it can’t be done straight up. It strikes me as odd that the differences within a country as large as the US are somehow the same to the differences in a country as small as the Netherlands, but, and this is a tough admission for someone who always has an answer to everything; I really don’t know why.
Well, I am going to put my thinking cap back on and think of some more similarities, because there have got to be more, and I am a woman on a mission. In the meantime, all your suggestions are very welcome.
4 comments:
Frappant, dat Noord-Zuid verschil. Want ook in Belgie zie je dat (Vlaanderen-Wallonie).
Maar ik vrees dat ik je verder ook niet van dienst kan zijn met nuttige tips... Ook al lijken Amerika en Be/Ne in eerste instantie op elkaar in die zijn dat we moderne ontwikkelde technologische maatschappijen zijn. Maar overeenkomsten zijn toch moeilijk te vinden. En dat zal ook de Culture Shock zijn die velen ervaren als ze onvoorbereid naar dat andere Westerse land vertrekken.
Wat julllie het Brabants of Limburgs kwartiertje noemen, noemt men in de streek van de Turnhoutse Kempen (gelegen tegen Brabant) het 'academisch kwartiertje'. Dat wil zeggen dat, indien de docent niet aanwezig is bij het begin de van de les, dat je het als student niet zomaar mag 'afbollen', maar dat je een kwartiertje moet wachten. Gek genoeg geldde dat niet in de omgekeerde richting bij ons op school; als je als student een kwartier te laat kwam, kreeg je een uitbrander (in het beste geval).
Veel succes nog met je zoektocht!
En wat mij altijd opvalt: Nederland is zoveel meer betrokken op Amerika dan dat Belgie dat is. Er lijkt me veel meer uitwisseling te zijn op bv. cultureel en academisch gebied. En ik denk dat je in Nederland, ondanks al het gehakt op Amerika, toch een groter draagvlak van liefhebbers van de Amerikaanse cultuur vindt, dan dat je die in Belgie kan vinden.
Zo hield mijn zoon gisteren voor zijn mondeling examen Nederlands een spreekbeurt waarin hij wou wijzen dat je niet moet denken als "de Belgen" tegenover "de Amerikanen", en hij staafde dat met allerlei dingen (niet in de minste plaatst met de grootte van beide landen en het aantal inwonders). Ondanks het feit dat hij een staande ovatie kreeg van de klasgenoten, kreeg hij slechts een 7/10 van zijn leerkracht. Ze vond het te verwijtend. En dat terwijl hij er echt voor gezorgd had om bv. nergens te zeggen 'de Belgen denken/zeggen' maar altijd het veel neutralere 'men' (zodat toehoorders, ook al zouden ze zich een beetje betrapt voelen omdat ze gewezen werden in de fouten in hun manier van denken, zich onmiddellijk konden distantieren omdat het niet over jou ging, maar over "men"0. Ik heb zoonlief gezegd dat hij het zich niet aan moet trekken, dat 7/10 in zijn school helemaal niet slecht is, en dat hij zijn lkr wel heel erg goed heeft leren kennen nu. Zij zal zich veel te erg aangesproken gevoeld hebben. ;-)
Wel grappig hoor. Maar ook in noordelijke regionen staat dat kwartiertje als een 'academisch kwartiertje' bekend...althans, zo ken ik het dan weer :)
Grappig, ik zit dit in de auto te lezen en zit ook te denken aan overeenkomsten, maar kom er niet echt op.
Wat Elke schrijft over Nederland en Amerika en uitwisselingen is volgens mij ook waar. Nederland heeft natuurlijk ook, itt Belgie, een groot aandeel in de vroege geschiedenis van dit land, er is zelfs een Dutch Heritage Day ergens in november.
Aangezien Anna uit Texas komt, en ik daar redelijk wat tijd door heb gebracht, was me al vaker opgevallen dat er overeenkomsten bestonden tussen Texas t.o.v. 'het Amerikaanse noorden' en Limburg t.o.v. 'het Nederlandse noorden.
Precies zoals je beschrijft zijn er de duidelijke verschillen in de volksaard: minder direct, meer terughoudend, minder punctueel, maar ook ogenschijnlijk meer genieten van dingen.
Naast deze 'algemene' zuidelijke kenmerken, merkte ik in Texas nog wat andere overeenkomsten op. Zoals bijvoorbeeld he chauvinisme: heel veel Limburgers zijn eerst Limburger, dan pas Nederlander, net zoals veel Texanen eerst Texaan zijn, en dan pas Amerikaan. Daarnaast vormt Limburg toch wel een apart deel van Nederland, net zoals Texas dat is in de VS.
Zo heb ik dus de conclusie die je trok met de overeenkomsten tussen Noord en Zuid in beide landen inderdaad enkele jaren geleden ook al getrokken.
Wat de overeenkomsten betreft, tja, dat wordt wel wat moeilijker. Net zoals in Amerika hebben wij ook McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, SubWay, en meer en meer Starbucks zullen er nu gaan komen. Maar goed, dat zijn geen 'tell tale differences', enkel voorbeelden van de globalisatie van de economie.
Ook merk je dat Nederland meer richting een 'comfort culture' aan het groeien is, maar het niveau van Amerika zullen we denkelijk wel nooit halen.
En behalve deze, er aan de haren bijgesleepte, geforceerd gevonden overeenkomsten, is er erg weinig overeenkomst te vinden tussen deze twee volkeren... maar we blijven erover nadenken! Wordt vervolgd...?
Post a Comment