Once again my life has forced to come to the painful realization that I'm really not that smart. Really, y'all, I'm not. Sure, I did finish that article on time, and yeah, I did get all these fancy-pants degrees, but you know, that really does not mean I'm smart. Nope. All that shows you is that I'm a glutton for punishment. And have no life. But today, I don't want to talk about how I have no life, today, I want to talk about how it's a miracle that I remember to breathe.
You all, I am sure, know how much I've been complaining about the town that I currently call home. In fact, my constant stream of cynicism and sarcasm is probably part of what draws you to my blog in the first place. But anyway, I'm sure you all remember my calling this town backwards, redneck, lacking in cultural events, nice stores, and most importantly, cool people. I think that more than anything I have written about the mind-boggling bundle of weirdness that is a southerner. I believe I've described them as conservative, hypocritical, religion-obsessed, in love with 80s fashion, unable to comprehend irony, and ignorant. And that's just naming a few. I know that more than once I have lamented the lack of hip open-minded, educated people for whom a night out does not involve the words "races", "cow tipping", "beer chugging" or "church pasta dinner".
So all this time I have felt like a little lonely island of semi-normalcy. And then yesterday, I realized I had it all wrong. I mean really wrong.
Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, I did my usual, 'let's do some calls while I'm not doing anything' (driving in the south doesn't count as doing anything). As I opened my phone, I saw a message from Janet, who wanted all "her girls" to come out for dinner for her birthday. After talking to Janet, and making sure she knew she was invited to our house for dinner on Saturday, I called Shelly. And as I was talking to her about that same dinner party, she asked me about Janet's birthday, and if we should do something. She had not talked to Kay yet, so I promised I would. While talking to Kay, and getting advice from her on how to seat thirteen people around our dining room table, it suddenly hit me. And it hit me so hard, I'm turning it into a new paragraph.
I have a circle of friends.
I have friends. They're cool, they're hip, they're not into racing or beer chugging or cow tipping. They call me when they feel like it, and I call them. We complain to each other about weird southern people, we gossip, we support each other when things just plain suck, we make baskets for wives with deployed husbands, we make things for each other just because we know someone likes jell-o, or chocolate, or stroopwafels, we run together, have dinner together, and sing karaoke together. And I never realized that until yesterday.
I'm not a lonely island anymore. If anything, I'm a chick with no brains, but with a few really good friends. Can I have a yay, y'all?
4 comments:
Gefeliciteerd (echt waar) !! je hebt jezelf en de mensen om je heen de afgelopen hoeveel (?) tijd tekort gedaan. Er is niets mis met een mandje maken of jam of appelmoes of wat dan ook voor iemand anders, als die daar heel blij van wordt, al is het misschien oubollig vanuit een "westers, modern etc (voor wat het waard is) oogpunt bekeken. Ik heb het eerste half jaar best wat aanpassingsmoeilijkheden gehad maar realiseerde me dat dat 100% aan mij lag. Ik ben degene die hier is komen wonen en moet daar het beste van zien te maken en dat is gelukt en als je de mensen beter leert kennen (en zij jou vooral want jij bent de nieuwkomer) zitten er absoluut vrienden tussen. Op het moment dat je denkt dat jij (of in mijn geval ik) de enige normale persoon bent tussen een stel " abnormalen" is juist het tegenovergestelde het geval ;-) Normaal of abnormaal is alleen een interpretatie die voor iedereen anders is gelukkig.
Hier zijn ook weird southern people waarvan er een heleboel heel leuke en wereldwijze mensen te zijn met een interessante visie op veel zaken. Maar ze zullen nooit praten( en geef ze eens ongelijk) als je ze al een stempel hebt opgedrukt van " redneck" oid. Veel plezier met je vrienden/vriendinnen ! en ik hoop dat je een stuk gelukkiger bent/ zult worden.
YAY! Harstikke goed!
Ik ben erg blij voor je dat je, ook al had je het niet gelijk door, zulke leuke vrienden om je heen hebt verzameld! Maar het kon ook niet anders met jouw persoonlijkheid:-)!
Super! Het duurt toch wel een tijd.
Maar heb je nu nog blogstof? :)
Vast wel!
YAY!
Post a Comment