My current location is probably the most rural of all the places I have ever lived in. Having been here for almost three years now, I thought it was time to step back and evaluate the past three years. Because, you know, I hardly ever do that. Really. Never.
So anyway, a phone call from one of our darling children today, regarding a turtle they had accidentally caught while fishing, and who was now stuck on dry land with a fishing hook between its eyes that they could in no way get out, and "Dad, the turtle is REALLY in pain, I mean you can tell", made me think of one interesting way to look back on the past three years: The really weird stuff. What are some of the things I have done in the past three years, that I never thought I would do? Ever? After some thought, I've lumped a few together for you.
1. Sat watch on the dock on my in-law's pond with a shotgun, waiting for the gigantic snapping turtle to return so we could send it to the eternal marshlands before it would mutilate one of our kids. Although I don't mind if other people own guns (well, actually, I do, but for argument's sake, let's pretend I'm really as tolerant as I like to be), I never imagined myself holding a gun, much less intending to use it.
2. Some of you may remember this: Calling for the dogs to pick up a cockroach that was scurrying along the wall in our office. I know I could have gotten the Raid and put an end to its life, but this seemed to a) provide our dogs with some entertainment, and b) give the roach a chance at life.
3. Eaten boiled peanuts, collared greens, fried pickles, fried green tomatoes, hop 'n' john, pork and bean soup, biscuits and gravy, low country boil, and learned to like them all.
4. Said "I'ma holler at ya" and not thought anything of it. In that same vein, I have also made words such as "doo hickey", "y'all", "hot dang", and the truly southern "it is what it is" part of my daily vocabulary.
5. Looked at several of our plants demolished by the rabbits that have been plaguing our neighborhood, and asked husband-dear if a bee bee gun would scare them away (see my first remark).
6. Worn a parka when it was 50F degrees out, and pulled out a hat, scarves, extra camisoles, and gloves when temperatures would hit anything starting with a '4'.
7. Hooked a worm onto a fishing hook without gagging, cast a line, reeled in a fish, and pulled it up out of the water (although I that point I did thankfully started squealing for someone to "Get that fish away from me! Oh my God, it's gross! And wet! And it flops around! Eeeuw!"
8. Traveled up north, giggled every time I saw a sign for "pop", and asked husband-dear if they were selling their dads in that store.
9. Tried to order "unsweet tea" in other parts of the country, and get annoyed when people look at me funny. Seriously, do you know how annoying it is when you can't determine the sweetness of the tea yourself?
10. Understood everything said by characters such as Boomhauer on King of the Hill, George Clooney in O Brother, where art thou, and really anyone pretending to be a southerner in the media.
So, now that I've revealed my ten weirdest changes, what are yours?
4 comments:
Een aantal van die dingen ga ik toch even moeten opzoeken op het internet om uit te vinden wat ze willen bedoelen.
En wat mijn dingen betreft: wacht 3 jaar, en ik zal verslag doen. ;-)
Weird is someone else's normal :)
You're truly integrated, and great that some of that stuff is rubbing off on you hihi.
Erg leuk om te lezen :-)
Fun! I've been here so long, I have definitely adopted customs etc. I didn't think I would. Wouldn't necessarily call them weird. For one I exchanged my perfect British pronunciation for the American one, something that, when I first caught myself doing so, greatly upset me. Now I like it ;). I swore I'd never say y'all and I certainly have. I acquired a taste for certain American foods I detested, when I first moved here, like pumpkin pie. Just a few things I can think of, I'm sure there are many more, as a Dutch acquaintance once told me "you're quite American", whatever that means.
Post a Comment