Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Parking wars

Before I can rant about the parking war that is about to commence here on campus, you need to know two important facts that I've neglected to mention before:
1. Faculty and staff have to buy a parking permit in order to be able to park on campus, and
2. We have just bought a new car.

Regarding number 1, I would like the record to show that our campus does not lack parking space like a lot of urban campuses do. There is no driving around and around and around parking lots to find that one empty spot like you might have to do at other major universities. There is no "if you leave for lunch, you're out of luck" either, and really, parking down here is pretty good. It just costs you money. Which, considering the absolute abundance of parking spaces, really makes no sense. Well, it does if you consider that the university receives $35 annually from every employee, and that I'm sure that helps with the university budget, but last time I checked, I don't think it was my job to donate to that same budget. Anyway, I digress.

And regarding number 2, I know, I'm very excited. You might remember that husband-dear owns a truck. He loves that truck. I love that truck. It's ten years old, went all over Europe with us, and holds just about anything. But in recent months it's been, well, struggling. Husband-dear had to replace the radiator in the fall, and a few months ago, his car stopped dead on his way to work. Apparently, the alternator was in need of replacement too. That was when we decided we really needed a new car. The truck is our long-distance vehicle (as my car is really too small), and as neither one of us was thrilled at the idea of driving twelve hours with a truck whose parts are apt to stop at random, we knew the time had come to retire our trusty Dodge. Fortunately, and I really mean this (mainly because I'm a nostalgic old biddy), we decided to keep the old truck, to teach the kids how to drive (and also because husband-dear is as attached to that truck as I am). Anyway, all that aside, we are now the proud owners of a brand new Honda- CRV. It's new, it has XM radio, leather seats, as well as a towing package for our bicycle rack, and we are very happy.

Recently, husband-dear has once again demonstrated his awesomeness by letting me drive the CRV to work. Granted, during summer session, I only have to drive to work about once a week, but still. It's very cool. The CRV is infinitely more comfortable, cooler, faster, and it just makes me happy to drive it.

Enter the university police department.
Every time I've driven the car, I've followed the parking rules, stopped at the police department, and obtained a temporary parking permit. And every time, that went fine. Until today.

You see, today I was told I had exceeded the number of temporary parking permits allowed, and would have to buy an additional parking permit. In short, I would have to fork over another $35 to be allowed to drive another car to work.

Hell no.

Call me stingy, but the fact that I have to pay to be allowed to park at work is silly enough to begin with, I will not let the police department determine which car I am allowed to drive to work. This has to be some sort of infringement upon my basic, inalienable rights as a US citizen to drive whatever car I want to.

You'll be happy to know I didn't get upset with anyone at the police department. I have just sent out a string of angry emails to our dean (who agrees with me), and various member of the administration.

Perhaps I'm overreacting. Perhaps I should just pay the $35, and think of it as another tax write-off. But perhaps it really is as ridiculous as I think it is. What do you think?

2 comments:

elke said...

Ik denk dat jij volkomen gelijk hebt! Je betaalt voor het recht op een parkeerplaats. En of dat je nou je auto a, b of c daar op wilt parkeren, dat doet er toch niet toe? Je neemt toch niet plots 2 parkeerplaatsen in omdat je nu met een andere auto komt?!

Bibi said...

I agree with you, it's just a ridiculous rule. What if your car needs repairs and it takes three months or longer and you need to drive a rental? I shouldn't matter what you're driving to work.