Just a few moments ago, I decided to look over my bike and bike shoes for the first time after Sunday's accident. Since the only part of the car to actually hit me was the mirror, I wasn't expecting to find a whole lot. I mean, yes, I had tumbled off my bike afterwards, but a mere fall doesn't do a whole lot to your bike. Trust me, I have ample experience.
So I walked into the garage, looked at my bike, and the first thing I noticed was that the left handlebar was bent. Although I remember the nose of the car streaking right by me, I didn't remember it hitting my bike at all. Could it have really been that close? Really? Husband-dear appears in the garage, and I show him the bike too. He frowns, straightens it out (long live carbon fiber!), and the offers up that it could have happened when the police officer put the bike in his trunk to drop off at our house. Good point. We both like that.
Then I notice that the plastic little cover on top of the right gear shifter is cracked. OK, well, that can be explained by my falling into the grass. And although it can't be fixed, I will do just fine with a little crack to remind me of my guardian angel.
Just as I'm about to congratulate myself on the fact that it all really wasn't so bad, I pick up my bike shoes. And notice that the clip on the left shoe is completely bent forward. Bent at an angle that is obviously not the result of me falling into the grass. An angle that could have only been caused by something hitting it from behind. Something solid, like, oh, I don't know the nose of a car. The nose of the car that apparently hit the clip on my shoe a mere quarter of an inch away from my leg, but not my leg.
For the first time since Sunday my cavalier, "It wasn't a big deal at all, really, I will be fine, so what's the fuss." attitude has cracked just a little. A bent handlebar, fine. A cracked shifter cover, cool. But the car hit the clip on my shoe, not the shoe itself, not my foot, or my leg, and all I have is some mirror-shaped bruises?
Yeah.
Nothing better happen to me in the next ten years, because I obviously just used up all of my luck.
1 comment:
Wow, you were really lucky! Just a little note about your handlebar: -please- replace the thing even though you were able to bend it back to how it should be. It might at some point in the future just crack in half because it got banged up in the accident.
Post a Comment