I think it’s safe to say that I’m a pretty organized person. My house and office are usually tidy, and even my purse is not in too bad a shape. I will make daily to-do lists, and have yet to lose a set of keys, wallet, or even a sock (knock on wood). But whenever I have to pack for a trip, this horribly messy, chaotic and disorganized alter ego rears its head. Within minutes I manage to have the bedroom look like a bomb exploded, in spite of all the lists I made before hand. I will put a pile of clothes in my suitcase, then realize I need to get out Ziploc bags for my liquids, put them in the bathroom, and then decide I really should pack my carry-on first. Needless to say that within minutes there are piles of clothes all over the bedroom, bags are all over the floor, and the place is generally a mess. Everyone who knows me and has seen me like this, has been surprised, and to be honest, to am I. I really don’t know what happens, but I cannot seem to get my stuff together in a disciplined manner. I will misplace socks, chargers, and it’s generally best to leave me alone, since I’m usually not in the best of moods (probably because it’s so messy).
So here I am, my bags are all packed, husband-dear has been instructed on when to water the plants, and I’ve put in my last call to work. And then the question always comes up: now what? I don’t leave until early tomorrow morning, am too antsy to go and do something, but obviously it’s far too early for say, bed. When I was a child, and we would go on long trips, I would get so excited, I could simply not sleep the night prior to our departure. In that respect, not a whole lot has changed. Only right now I have the added worry of not missing my flight, what on earth I am going to do on the grueling six-hour layover in Newark (I know, I know, but it was the cheapest flight, let’s all pray for wireless internet), and whether or not the strike of the luggage handlers in Amsterdam will affect me (I sure hope not, since I am usually not little Ms. Sunshine after such a long trip). A large part of me is, of course, also very excited about seeing my parents again. It’s been a long time, and I am looking forward to catching up with them. And somehow arriving at an airport and having people wait for you is such a wonderful, almost movie-like experience. I can’t wait, and let’s hope they bring dropjes!
p.s. I am planning to keep blogging during my stay in
4 comments:
Hey! Mag ik dan de eerste zijn die je goede reis wenst hier!! Leuk dat je naar NL gaat.
Zo te zien heb je toch wel wat gevonden om te doen na het inpakken; bloggen :)
Zo'n lange wachttijd heb ik ook gehad de laatste 2 keer. Op de heenweg nog niet zo erg, maar op de terugweg... Een goed boek, mensen kijken (wat een drama, een man aan de telefoon die blijkbaar zijn kind niet mocht zien), wat rondlopen, voor je het weet zijn die 6 uur voorbij.
Gaan de kinderen mee? Goede reis in ieder geval! Wireless internet zal er zeker zijn in Newark, no worries. Veel plezier! Heel vreemd, ik ben natuurlijk in de afgelopen 25 jaar heel wat keren naar Nederland gegaan, maar ik herinner me de eerste keer nog als de dag van gisteren. Weet niet of dit jouw eerste keer is, maar misschien wel de eerste alleen of zo, om de een of andere reden maken die reizen meer indruk.
How do you pack ruffled shirts and stilettos? :-P
Seriously, though, with regard to your earlier fashion post... the other day, I saw someone wearing gym sweats with high heels, outside on an apt. lawn in the morning. Very cool.
Natuurlijk wel blijven bloggen vanuit Nederland hoor. Ik vind je blogs super leuk om te lezen, dus gewoon doorgaan!
Wij gaan over 11 dagen naar Amerika en de inpakstress komt me heel bekend voor. Het wordt al stukken minder nu de kinderne niet meer meegaan, maar ik herinner me nog perfect de eerste reis waarbij ik voor vijf personen moest pakken, zucht ...
Veel plezier in Nederland!
Groetjes,
Monique
Post a Comment