Well, a whole lot apparently. I never knew I was this attached to my maiden name, until, well, today. Don’t get me wrong, I like being Mrs. Married name. I really do. But at home only. At work, I have been, and always will be Dr. Maiden name, or Dr. Maiden-married name if I have to. It’s what I have always been, and it’s who I am. I like it that way, my husband likes it that way, my students like it that way, everyone likes it that way. Except, since today, my work.
Well, maybe the smiling was another example of southern politeness, because today some people seemed to not understand anymore. Today I got a phone call from one of our secretaries that I really couldn’t hyphenate my name anymore because, well, they weren't entirely sure why, but I couldn’t. Or so they thought. But may not. But it was all very complicated either way. At first HR was blamed, since their records of me are in my married name, and all records have to be synchronized. But a phone call to a very understanding head of HR revealed that they had no problem with my hyphenated last name. Then it was a SACS (southern association of colleges and schools) requirement that all records must use the same name, until I pointed out SACS had no access to my HR records, and that all other records were under my hyphenated last name. The last thing I heard was that it had to do with the way I signed all of my forms. Apparently I might be able to keep my hyphenated last name, but then I can’t sign my paperwork using my married name anymore. I would possibly have to come back in and re-sign all my paperwork with my hyphenated last name. If that was at all possible. But they weren’t sure. The last thing I heard was someone telling me; “I really don’t see what’s wrong with changing your name to Dr. Married name anyway”.
Now slap me upside the head and call me silly, but what on earth is going on here? Synchronized records? Re-signing paperwork? Since when does your signature have to reflect your entire name? I once signed my passport with just my first name and a smiley face on the “i”. Granted, I was 12, but still. And since when do strangers have access to all of your HR records? And even if they do, shouldn’t they be able to figure out that Dr. X in one record and Dr. X-Y in another (and trust me, my last names are odd enough that there is no one else at the university with that name, I checked), is the same person? And moreover, since when does anyone have the right to tell me there is nothing wrong with adopting a different name?
2 comments:
Dat klinkt een beetje ingewikkeld en een onodige verwarring. Ik zie ook niet waarom je de naam die je wilt niet kunt gebruiken.
Ik heb altijd mijn man's naam gebruikt, en stond er in het begin nooit bij stil dat ik dan mijn meisjesnaam kwijt was. Beide namen gebruiken was me altijd teveel werk (je gelooft niet hoe vaak op een dag je je naam moet tekenen als verpleegkundige). Dus al mijn US papieren staan op mijn man's naam. Toen ik citizen werd stond ik er niet eens bij stil en gebruikte ook mijn man's naam, en aangezien dual citizenship mogelijk is heb ik dat dit jaar gedaan. Maar mijn verbazing was groot toen ik opeens geen "echtenote van ...." meer was, maar alleen mijn man's naam in mijn Nederlandse paspoort had staan. En ook nog 2 van de 4 voornamen zijn weg. Omdat er altijd maar plaats is voor 2 voornamen had ik er maar 2 ingevult bij aanvraag van citizenship en dat werd bij het nieuwe paspoort overgenomen.
Nou ja, lang verhaaltje, en ik weet niet of je al citizen bent, maar zo niet, dan ben je bij deze gewaarschuwd om voorzichtig te zijn met invullen als je gehecht bent aan je namen :)
Zelf was ik maar al te blij om mijn meisjesnaam (wat een idiote naam daarvoor eigenlijk, als je die als volwassen vrouw ook wilt dragen) kwijt te raken. Maar dat heeft alles met mijn verleden te maken en mijn wens om geheel opnieuw te beginnen.
That said, in dit gebied is het heel gewoon voor vrouwen om hun eigen (meisjes) naam te behouden en ook om te "hyphenaten". Mijn goede vriendin Mary Ellen heet Seravalli en haar man Mottola van achteren. En zo ken ik er nog veel meer.
Misschien is het iets zuidelijks en ouderwets? De enige vrouwen, die ik ken, die hun meisjesnaam aanhouden of hyphenaten wonen hier of noordelijker, dus misschien is dat wel zo.
Post a Comment