Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Madison Avenue

Do you know how sometimes the funniest conversations occur when you don’t expect them? And then when you think back, you’re not sure if they’re really that humorous at all? Well, that happened to me this morning, during our Sunday morning long run. Husband-dear and I shared the following, maybe not so funny now, but hilarious at the moment little exchange:

Please note that we’re at the 6 mile mark (out of an 8.5 mile run), husband-dear has been biking a lot lately instead of running, and I really want to finish the run in under 80 minutes.

H(husband-dear): Wow, I’m really dragging butt. I’m going to get behind you and let you set the pace, OK?
W (wife = me): Sure. Can you tell me the time and exact mileage please?
So husband-dear uses his Garmin to tell me where we’re at, and I decide I need speed things up a little bit.
H: Wow, you’re really picking it up fast
W: I am? I didn’t think it was that much
H: Yeah it is. But that’s good. You’ve got to find your rhythm, find the pace that works for you, find your breathing..
W (as I jump over some squished roadkill: Find a dead squirrel
H: Lovely. Oh! That would be a great commercial!
W: What?
H: Well, you know, they could show a man and wife (yes he did say that!) running together and they could be having the conversation we’re having right now, you know, with me saying you have to find your rhythm and your pace and all, and you saying you find a dead squirrel. And then the camera zooms in on your face, and you have tears in your eyes. So then the husband asks if you are OK, and you’re like, not really. And then the slogan could pop up: Running, it’s not for everyone.”
W: What?! Are you serious? They should do it the other way around you mean..you’re pacing off of me right now!
H: Yeah, but women are more likely to cry over a dead animal
W: Well, I didn’t, and I’m running faster than you.
H: But still, a man isn’t going to cry over a dead animal in the road, and a woman might.
W: I married a male chauvinist pig, didn’t I?
H: No you didn’t, it would just be funny
W: No, you know what would be funny?
H: What?
W: If they were to use this whole little scene as the commercial. You know, you needing my help to make it, but then playing the macho, when everyone knows it’s the other way around.
H: I still think mine would be funnier
W: Sure.
Silence for a little bit
W: Would you like me to make you an ice bath when we get home?
H: That would be really sweet, thanks.

Running: It takes real balls to do it!

2 comments:

+fB said...

You two are seriously funny.

Annemiek said...

There are some weird conversations going on between runners :)