Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Driving to work - James Joyce style *

Thank heavens I’m off the interstate. I really hate that last part with all the concrete barriers on either side and trucks racing by you like there is speed limit, I swear one day I’m going to get hit from behind while trying to exit. Well at least it’s light out now although that probably won’t last long either and then I’ll be driving to and from home in the dark. The dark just makes me sleepy when I drive, is there any tea left in this thing, I better not drink too much or I’ll have to stop to go to the bathroom, wow it’s foggy here too I can barely see that semi up ahead and it’s not that far away, I hope everyone remembers to turn their lights on or I will have an accident. Oh, another deer on the side of the road… aaawwww… well at least it’s still in one piece and doesn’t have its body parts all strewn across the road, maybe I should stop and pick it up and get it stuffed and be really southern. Yeah. Oh man, if there’s a deer crossing the road right now I am so dead, I can’t see a thing in this pea soup… ooooh… but those woods sure look pretty with the fog swirling between the trees. And look at those cotton fields, it’s almost like a fairy tale with the sun lighting up the fog and the endless fields of brown bushes, hhmm.. why I can’t see the cotton as well now as I can in the evening and afternoon, I wonder if cotton closes up at night like flowers, I should find out about that because that would be really neat…ooh...look at that shack over there it is really starting to fall apart, maybe I should stop and take a few pictures to put on my blog, the fog makes everything looks so surreal. I always say I’m going to stop and then I never do, and then the next thing I know the shack will be gone and I’ll be all like, ooh, I wish I had taken a picture of that Dude if you pull out in front of me I am going to be up your butt like nobody’s business. Good you decided not to, sheesh, idiot. Dang, this bridge sucks all my windows always fog up around this lake I wonder why. Oh, Bryce’s BBQ shack I really need to stop there one day and pick up some ribs for D he loves ribs, maybe I should call him later today and ask him if he would like me to do that on Friday. “And I will try to collect all the pieces you left I will carry them all and let you forget”, that song is so sad. What if my parents got Alzheimer and wouldn’t remember me or my youth then what would be left of me? I don’t even live in the place I come from, well, I don’t really have one place I come from anyway, but still who would remember me as a child, that is really sad… hhmm…but who I am is also who I was when I was little so don’t you always carry that around with you regardless of who remembers? I can’t wait for my parents to get here I wish they lived a lot closer so we could just stop by for tea. Time goes by too fast, I can’t believe M doesn’t fit the jeans we bought him at the beginning of the school year anymore, why can’t they just stay little a little while longer? Whoa…did they just say “Transsiberian orchestra”? They sure did something about them giving a large tip, how is that news, you can tell the election is over, because the news is starting to get weird again. Look at that church all shrouded in the fog over there in the middle of the fields it’s so pretty. I wonder why they lock their parking lot with a gate though there is nothing around who would park there? Hmmm..shrouded is a pretty word kind of like pickle relish that sh sound is really neat. Sssh..ssshh..now I sound like Bjork, let’s see if I can pick up the university station here oh yeah, I like that jazz I hope can catch some of the morning show..whoa is that school bus stopping? Oh no, it’s just using its blinker, sheesh, it’s like a Christmas tree, well at least you can see it in this fog. Oh, why is that semi stopping? Oh, it’s the traffic light. Huh, did you know that you don’t see a light for about 80 miles on this trip, that is so weird. You do know you think way too much on your drives, yes you do. I wonder if I can remember all this when I get to work.


* For those who are wondering if I have lost my mind, or my ability to use proper punctuation, rest assured, I haven't. If you want to know more about James Joyce and his "stream of consciousness" technique, please check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness_writing

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ehhhh... juist ja. Het was vast heel erg leuk om de post van vandaag te schrijven, maar ik moet eerlijk bekennen dat ik als lezer na vijf regels ben afgehaakt. Sorry! Er is een reden dat ik de Ulysses niet gelezen heb.

+fB said...

Reading this was really fun. It was like a little window into your neurotic head. I'm sure you cut out the really crazy stuff, though. I know I would. :-D

Bravo, thanks for the ongoing entertainment that is Southern Tales.

Annemiek said...

Goed dat we elkaars gedachten niet kunnen lezen, zouden we helemaal gek worden :) Soms vraag ik me wel eens af hoe je van het een op het ander kunt springen in gedachten en dan moet je hard denken hoe je ook alweer op dat punt uitkwam. Wel een leuke post :)

Petra said...

Leuk geschreven, maar hoe heb je dat allemaal onthouden ;).

kastelke said...

Zeer herkenbaar!

Maar de laatste weken heb ik James Joyce zijn stijl opgeborgen voor andere auteurs. Ik heb met name het luisterboek ontdekt! Nu ben ik dus in staat om minstens 3 boeken op 2 weken tijd te 'lezen', en dat vind ik super!!!
Sophie Kinsella (Shapaholic & Baby) is net uit, en ook Renate Dorresteins "Mijn zoon heeft een seksleven en ik lees mijn moeder Roodkapje voor" zin in zijn voorlaatste hoofdstuk.
Aangezien jij ook lange ritten maakt, is dat misschien een aanrader, zo'n luisterboek?