- Procrastination
- Pronunciation:
- \prə-ˈkras-tə-ˌnāt, prō-\
- Function:
- verb
I am not a procrastinator. Never have been. In fact, if there is a reward for being on time all the time, I would win it with my eyes closed. Several years at a Montessori elementary school took care of that. I mean, there is no way you can complete 40 fractions assignments, 40 math assignments, 20 grammar assignments, 30 writing assignments, and goodness how many other writing, history, geography, and foreign language assignments in the last two weeks of school. You have to learn to plan or you will drown at that type of school. So when I was ten, I knew how long to the minute it would take me to complete twenty math problems, I knew how much time I need to schedule to do my research for the next history project, I knew how to write an outline, and I was, in general, just a pretty big freak. But a freak that probably had more planning and time management skills than many of my students do at the age of twenty-four. But I'm not going to complain about my students. Not today anyway. No, my students are doing great. They all completed their second online module on time, and are now busy chipping away at the third module. The problem, this time, is me.
You see, even though I claim to not be a procrastinator, I just cannot seem to get through grading all of my students' assignments. I was going to have two lessons completely graded by the end of the day, and you'll be very disappointed to know that I have barely made it through one. In fact, I've spent all day doing everything but grading their work. You will all be happy to know that I am now up to date on every single blog in my list (Bibi: cool beds! Petra: Congrats on the race! Annemiek: The BBQ sounds great! Cisca: It is truly the end of an era, Elmosplace: more music fragments!, Fb+: I need a new post dude!, Tink: I love bookstores like that!, and since I could go on in this vein for about two more paragraphs, I will just end by saying that I really feel updated on all of my online buddies' lives). I've also made my presence known on several fora, sent countless pointless emails to overworked coworkers, and am completely updated on the news. But I still have not finished graded all of the assignments for module 2.
Now, in all honesty, the numbers here are a little daunting. Please allow me to do the math for you. My online class consists of four modules. Module 2 was due last Friday, and consisted of seven lessons. Each lesson included one written assignment, and one discussion assignment. I have sixteen students. That means that I have seven times two times sixteen equals two hundred and twenty-four assignments to read and grade. And after the first three students have told me that "we are under they're control of what we are allowed to see in the media", I am not only done, I am ready for a drink. In my newly purchased inflatable floating chair in our newly set up pool.
See, and there is distraction numero dos: we now really do have a pool. It's inflatable, and not quite the oval in-ground pool with hot tub that I have been dreaming of, but it's close. It's round, about sixteen feet in diameter, and 42 inches high. It's taken the better part of the day to fill, but it is now honestly, truly, completely done. We are still waiting on our saltwater pump, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a minor detail. But you understand that I had to go outside at least twice every hour to check on the water level, skim any bugs off the surface, and make sure the filter was operational. I've put the pool ladder together, and measured the water temperature twice.
But in the meantime, my assignments are waiting. At the moment I'm working on an "internal procrastinator" theory. It claims that everyone is a procrastinator at heart. But some people, in fact, most of us, get this all out when we're in school, and then turn into responsible, deadline-minded adults. Because I suppressed it all through school, maybe my internal procrastinator has simply been waiting for a moment like this one to come out and make my life impossible. Great!
Hang on, I think Zoe is whining and needs a walk. Yay!
6 comments:
ok, ok, ik moet echt even wat gaan bloggen weer. Will do, but don't hold your breath :-)
Pff, the math of how many things you have to grade makes me dizzy. As the great procrastinator herself, I know how it is. Always something more important to do. Wouldn't it be nice to have a waterproof computer so you can float in the pool and do the grading! Kill 2 flies in 1.
Haha, ik denk dat er een reden is dat het werkwoord bloggen zo mooi rijmt met SOGgen. Dat is de volwassen variant ervan! :-)
En ik ben natuurlijk een expert in procrastineren, dus als je geen alternatieven meer hebt, moet je het maar even laten weten, ik verzin wel wat voor je.
Ok, de blog is er! Leest, en geniet van youtube: hier dus.
LOL perhaps you can get an inflatable bed and grade the assignments from the pool, or just wait a while until there is nothing else to do.
SOoo great you have a pool! Enjoy it!
Post a Comment