Sometimes I wonder if husband-dear and I unnecessarily complicate our lives. I really do. Take today for instance. All I really needed to do (besides grade oodles of papers, of course) was get the oil in my car changed and my tires rotated. Sounds simple enough. Only it wasn't.
If all my car needed was an oil change, it would have been easy. There is a quickie lube a few miles down the road, and whenever I pull up there, no matter how many cars are in front of me, I will be out in no more than half an hour. I'll sit in the little office, grade a few papers, and be golden. But ever since I got married, my cars have apparently also needed tire rotations. Husband-dear truly believes in the power of tire rotation, and I'm not sure why. Granted, I also did not know the difference between brake pads and shoes until yesterday (the former are used with disc brakes, the latter with drum brakes, in case you wondered), but that's not the point. The point is that for years and years my cars did just fine without tire rotations. Unfortunately, husband-dear's approach to cars is less laissez-faire than mine, and thus I now get my tires rotated every...uhm..every...well every something. He tells when that is. And it happened to be this oil change.
You can imagine the eye-rolling and sighing on my end when he told me that. It's the end of the semester, and I barely have time to do my hair or shave my legs, let alone drive my car to one of the two places that rotate tires. Both are all the way across town, and seem to take for.ever.regardless of how many customers there are. And unless a place has free wi-fi, I can't do more than thirty minutes anywhere these days. So yes, there was sighing and possibly even some grumbling. But husband-dear once again proved his total awesome-ness, when he suggested the following grand scheme that centered on the fact that he had to work today, and the tire rotation place is on the way to base (pay attention, it gets complicated):
1. He was going to put his bike in my car, drive my car to the tire rotation place, and then bike to work.
2. Since the tire rotation place closes before husband-dear gets off work, I would ride my bike to the tire rotation place whenever the car was done, put my bike in the car and drive the car home.
3. Husband-dear would ride his bike home.
Do you see the ingeniousness of this scheme? We share the burden of driving my car clear across town, and both get our exercise in by riding our bikes.
But then we woke up this morning and it rained. And there was lightning. And thunder. And a stiff wind. And husband-dear was not happy, because that man LOVES to ride his bike. But we came up with an alternative:
1. I drive to the tire place right when they open, get the tires rotated and the oil changed, and drive home.
The idea behind this was that if I showed up there at 7am, the place would be deserted, and I would be in and out in half an hour, which would not cut into my grading too much.
Unfortunately, when I got to the tire rotation place, it looked like a parking lot, and the office worker told me that if I wanted to wait, I had to count on at least two hours.
Not. An. Option.
So I called husband-dear, and this is the plan we're on now:
1. I drive to the tire place
2. Husband-dear comes a little later to pick me up while I leave the car there
3. We both drive to base
4. I drive the truck home
5. I drive out to the tire rotation place before it closes (1pm) to pick up my car
6. I leave husband-dear's truck in the parking lot, and drive my car home
7. I pick husband-dear up from work in my car
8. I drop husband-dear off at the tire rotation place
9. Husband-dear drives his truck home.
So. Is this overly complicated, or is it just me?
3 comments:
I'm still puzzled about the shoe in the car, I did not know there was something like a shoe in the car...
Or you could just decide to postpone the rotation thingy a couple of weeks, when you'll have plenty of time and the weather is probably sunny again.
You could then:
1. put your bike in the back of your car
2. drive to the rotation place
3. bike back home
4. do the whole thing in reverse order at the end of the day before the rotation place closes.
Loooool!
Post a Comment