I'm supposed to be grading a bunch of papers right now. I'm also supposed to evaluate senior portfolios, assess six senior theses, and prepare my presentation for a major conference this Friday. Technically, I should also be on my way home already. But right now, I just don't want to do any of that. Well, except the going home part, but I can't do that until I've completed at least some of the above. And I don't feel like doing that right now.
So there.
If students can sit and let their minds wander in my class because they "just don't feel like doing anything", I should be able to daydream behind my desk right?
Fortunately, I can completely and wholeheartedly shift the blame for this lack of work ethic on something-not-me, namely the weather. You see, in a period of five days, we have gone from dog-awful winter temperatures to the sunny, breezy, pollen-filled days of summer. And this shift in temperature is accompanied by radiant blue skies, sudden bursts of bright green leaves on every tree, and one awesome spring scent that makes me wander around outside snorting like a horse. And so here I am, sitting behind my desk, gazing out the enormous window in front of me, and daydreaming about laying in my backyard. I got to lay in our backyard last night, and although that was more of a "drop dead after doing thirty push ups at the end of my fitness routine" laying down, it was still nice. There were birds, and crickets, and blossoms, and two dogs trying to climb all over me, and it was really nice. And you know what? I should have been grading then too, but I didn't.
And I know I could tell you all about the horrendous pollen we get here in Georgia. You know, the yellow stuff that mysteriously coats EVERY SINGLE surface in the state within a few hours at one point in the spring. The tiny little particles that make people sneeze, makes my windshield look like something big and yellow died on it, that can be swept up in such large quantities it looks like snow, and that you will still find in your house around Christmas time. I could tell you all about that and how bad it can get. But I'm enjoying my little summer reverie too much. One where I get to lay in the backyard all the time. Where my redneck-pool is set up again, and I get to float around in nice cool water with a book in my hands. One without any grading, or students, or papers, or evaluations. One with just peace and quiet. And lots of bike rides, and runs, and sweet tea, and shady pines, and crepe myrtles in full bloom.
It's one more month until commencement. Three weeks, three days, and twenty something hours until peace, quiet, and summer. I can't wait.
For now, I may just need to get some coffee. Because those papers still need grading, and I guess I really do want to go home at one point today.
2 comments:
:-) Totally there with you.
We are having temperatures well into the eighties here.
The air is so heavy with the scent of these blossoming trees, even I get an itchy nose ( and I have never been allergic)
But I also love sitting on our porch with a glass of white wine
(embarrassed to say there are already icecubes in there) and than realize that my 15 year old son who normally can't be beaten out of his jeans is wearing shorts to school since last week.
And summer has yet to start….
Op blote voeten in 't gras
Wat al zo lang geleden was
Even maar, weet je waar
April gebleven was
Want in de lucht hangt
iets van April
Is rond deze tijd van het jaar mijn favoriete liedje. Gisteren de eerste verbrande neus weer opgelopen door het "per ongeluk" iets te lang in de tuin zitten. Geweldig!
Ook al is het klimaat bij jullie totaal anders, zo te horen is het lentegevoel precies hetzelfde! Hebben jullie ook rokjesdag?
Post a Comment