Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What do teachers make?

This semester, in their, once again more than, infinite wisdom, the university administration decided to "push back" advisement during the week of senior finals, and the week before general finals. That would this week. So while we're calculating senior grades, planning senior finals, grading final papers, dealing with senior portfolios, senior projects, failing software, and our own end of the year evaluations, we are supposed to make time (and patience) to provide our seventy or so advisees with sound, well thought-out, and sensible advice on which classes to take next semester.

I'm once again not sure what inspired this pure stroke of genius, but I'm going to out on a limb here, and guess it has something to do with "further streamlining professor-student interaction", or perhaps "contributing to the economization of the academic advisement processes", or maybe I'm totally off, and it's really all to do with the "increasing observed need for a more in-depth restructuring of scholastic standards". I don't know. All I know is that it makes me want to scream and throw things.

Yesterday, husband-dear was actually kind enough to let me wad up a piece of paper and throw it at him. Now that is love for you. Right there. Forget about flowers, and cards, and romantic declarations of love. Letting your spouse hit you with a balled up advisement sheet so their frustration levels might taper is true love ladies and gentlemen.

Times like these is when I have to dig really deep to remember why I went into this field. It takes a lot of work and effort. Fortunately, I have good friends who will point me in the right direction. And one of those friends pointed me towards this video, which is probably what is going to keep me sane in these next two weeks. It's funny. It's inspirational. It's true. What more could a tired, overworked, and overwhelmed professor want?

1 comment:

Annemiek said...

Great video! That could be a good inspiration to get through the next few weeks. You may never know what kind of difference you have made.