Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

To air or not to air

It's been comparatively hot in The Netherlands the past few days. I say 'comparatively' because although temperatures in the mid-80s might be considered 'subtropical' in this part of the world, over two years of excessive complaining should have made you aware of the fact that temperatures in Georgia can beat that any day between, oh, April and October. In fact, it gets so hot during the day that we're positively thrilled when night time temperatures make it as low as the mid-8os.

Having said that, however, I know we really don't have as much right to complain as the Dutch do. First of all, of course, because only real Dutch people living in Holland are able to complain as much as they do. But secondly, also because we have air conditioning. And the vast majority of Dutch people don't.

It's funny how quickly you become accustomed to air conditioned homes, stores, schools, and cars. You can withstand the heat much easier, knowing that within a few moments the sweat will freeze off your skin, You also don't mind wearing hose, long pants, dress shirts, or really anything else, as you know that the time spent in the actual outdoors is limited to your brisk walk from your car to the indoors. Really, when you think about it, Georgia might be hotter than hell for more than six months out of the year, but when you live there, you really barely notice it.

So having spent the past few days in Holland has been interesting. Not in the least because I wear sweaters when everyone else is in tanktops, looking for the shade, and complaining about the heat, but also because whenever I go indoors, I can't help but voice my amazement at the lack of airconditioning. Where is the deepfreeze shock I have grown to love? Where are my goosebumps? Where is the desire to return outdoors where the blazing sun can help defrost your toes and fingers?

Because when I say that we have airconditioning in the south, I mean it. My family might be the exception, with our air set to a lukewarm 77/78, but most homes and businesses have their air set to 75 or below. Mostly below. So besides learning that 'y'all' is singular, and that the Georgia Bulldogs are the only football team worth watching, when you move south of the Mason-Dixie line, you also quickly learn to bring a jacket everywhere you go. It doesn't matter if it's a 114 out, you will freeze your butt off inside any building if you stay there long enough.

And so when I arrived at the conference the other day, I had brought a jacket. Yes, a jacket. It was 85 degrees out, the building was not airconditioned, and yet I had brought a jacket. I hadn't even stopped to think about it, and just brought it along. Because any southern girl knows that when it's summer, and you're indoors, you'll be cold without a jacket. Only we're not in the south anymore, Betty Sue. So my jacket and I drew a lot of stares. And questions. Which led to some really interesting conversations.

But in the future, I will make a note that there is no need to bring a jacket anywhere in Holland when it's hot out. Some wet wipes, deodorant, and a towel would actually be more in order. Check.

1 comment:

Petra said...

Alweer een klein cultuur schokje ;-)