Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Sainthood

I'm telling, after today, I qualify for sainthood. Or to at least have a church named after me. Something like "Lady DixieChick of Divine Patience" sounds nice. Allow me to run a conversation by you that I've had this morning. I'm sure that after hearing those, you will wholeheartedly agree with me.

Student appears in door, "Oh, I see that you're busy, can I make an appointment?"
Me, "You know, it's OK, what do you need?"
"How do I make an appointment?"
"I can help you now if you want."
"OK, I need to drop a class, what do I need to do?"
"You need to get a drop/add form from the registrar's office, fill it out, bring it to me to sign, and then return it to the registrar's office."
"A drop/add form?"
"Yes."
"OK. Where can I get one of those?"
"At the registrar's office."
"So I need this drop/add form to drop my class?"
At this point, I've realized that this is going to be a very long conversation indeed. 
"Yes, you do. You fill it out and then bring it to me."
And I've also realized it's far, far easier to break it down into very small pieces. 
"And where do I get one of these forms?"
Breathe in. Breathe out. Smile. 
"At the registrar's office."
"The registrar's office?"
Did you bring a parrot into my office, or did I?
"Yes."
"Where is the registrar's office?"
Insert the shortest possible explanation here.
"And that's where I get my add/drop form?"
God help me, please
"Yes."
"And it's over by the.."
Student names wrong location. Imagine same description, only with fewer large words like "breezeway" and "lobby"
"OK. And then I take it back to you, right?"
Hallelujah!
"Yes."
"OK."
Student leaves. Then turns around
"When will you be in your office?"
"Between one and two today"
"OK. And then you'll fill it out for me?"
Holy Mother of Mary, Sweet Angels in the Heavens above!
"No. You fill it out, then bring it to me."
"OK. And it's in the registrar's office?"
"Yes, yes, it is."
Oh. My. God. 
"Thank you"
Student really leaves.

Sainthood, I'm telling you. At least. 

 

2 comments:

Bibi said...

OMG! I totally agree with you. I'd have NO patience with these kind of individuals!

Annemiek said...

You get my vote for sainthood! I hope this was a freshman, otherwise I see a bad future for today's youth :)