Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Smells like school spirit

I'm not sure how this happened, but next week is midterms. Again. It feels like October was only yesterday. Which it obviously wasn't. It also feels as though we're only six weeks into an eighteen week semester. Which we are, and which somehow completely undermines the meaning of the concept "midterm". After all, "midterm" is supposed to refer to the idea of letting the student know how they are doing halfway through the term. Halfway. Not a third of the way. So why the midterms are scheduled now is beyond me.

Another reason why it's beyond me is because this weekend is basketball homecoming. Yes, basketball homecoming. Apparently, the basketball team has a homecoming too. Maybe it's a sign of my extreme obtuseness, but up until this year, I did not know there was such thing. Football homecoming, sure. Basketball homecoming, on the other hand, not so much. Perhaps my high school just wasn't spirited enough, and perhaps my college experience in the wintertime was too centered on snow to realize there was yet another homecoming, but apparently our school has a homecoming in the spring too. And it's this weekend.

And this is where it gets interesting. You see, I can't imagine European students getting excited about anything organized by their university. In fact, most of them would sooner write a ten page paper than admit they actually like their school. I know that some Dutch universities have tried to create more school spirit (and revenue), by selling clothes, bags, mugs, and other trinkets with their logo on it, but I've yet to see a student buy it. If a university puts on a big event, I can pretty much guarantee you that unless it involves free alcohol, Dutch students will not show up. But here in the US, it's a whole different ballgame. Students pay to go see homecoming games. They will pay big bucks to wear hoodies, sweatpants, and t-shirts with their university's name on it. They get up early so they can watch the homecoming parade. They buy tickets to see homecoming pageants. While their Dutch counterparts live to criticize their school, these students actually like it.

Now  as you all know my students as well as I do, and the little snowflakes have been complaining up and down about the fact that "ZOMG! You mean the paper is due/final is on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday? But it's homecoming this weekend!". So, finally, after hearing this in at least four classes, I asked a student what the appeal of homecoming was; "You're a senior, aren't you way too cool for silly school spirit stuff?"
"Oh, I don't care about the game. Heck no, there are going to be a few really cool parties I want to go to."

It's possible that I'm just odd, but that just made me feel so much better. Because partying I understand. I partied. Now maybe not right before midterms, but I sure did party. So I get wanting to party. I don't get being twenty two and wanting to dress in school colors. So the fact that that's not what it's about made this little rebellious soul feel a whole lot better.

Now I better get ready for whatever excuses my students will come up with on Monday. I vote that "I was sick all weekend, and didn't even get to go to the game, honestly!" will be this semester's winner.


.

No comments: