You might not believe it, but every great once in a while, something will happen that leaves me at a loss of words. And in all honesty, "every great once in a while" has actually become more like "once or twice a month" since I started teaching at this specific university. When you're a white, European professor, and you walk into the world that is an HBCU, I think it just kind of comes with the territory. There are so many things that I've never had to experience first hand, that when I hear about them, it renders me speechless.
And today I had another moment just like that. It started when I showed the movie "Sicko" in a class on persuasive communication. I asked the students to analyze it for specific techniques as part of an assignment. My students being who they are, however, they managed to quickly turn the discussion on the movie into a discussion on America's health care system. And that's when the speechlessness comes in. You see, as far as health care goes, I've also been very lucky. I've always had affordable health care, either through my job, the military, or the mere good fortune of being born in The Netherlands. My students, on the other hand, are not so lucky. Many of them have fallen out of their parents' policy when they turned 18 or 21, while the vast majority come from families who don't have health care at all. Hence the stories about huge hospital bills, inability to seek medical care, and diseases left untreated abound, all of which just leave me absolutely speechless.
I don't want to turn this into a political blog. I'm really not interested in a political discussion on the pros and cons of Obamacare, tort reform, and what the Republicans/Democrats have done wrong/right. To me it's really not relevant. What is relevant to me is why a country that does so well on so many other things, a country of which I will soon (hopefully) be a part, really seems to struggle when it comes to providing affordable health care to everyone. I don't understand how people who call themselves Christian conservatives, or constitutionalists, claim that universal health care is un-American. Doesn't the right to "the pursuit of life" imply that that life should be healthy? Doesn't the bible talk about caring for the sick, the widows, and the elderly? Am I just too European to really understand the issues surrounding this debate?
I don't know.
Like I said, I'm speechless.
2 comments:
De lappendeken is een van de problemen. Er zijn zoveel verschillen per regio. Om een voorbeeld te noemen; onze county staat op nr. 2 voor 'health outcomes' waar naar voorzieningen en gezond gedrag van de bewoners wordt gekeken. De aangrenzende county in het noorden staat op nr. 53. Ik denk dat er hierdoor niet alleen maar 1 oplossing zal zijn die overal past. Hoe het land het zo slecht kan doen op dit gebied? Ik denk dat een van de problemen is dat de zorgverzekeringen afhankelijk zijn van je werk. Een werkgever kan voor het goedkoopste plan kiezen die uiteindelijk te weinig dekt. En als je werkeloos raakt kun je die voortzetten maar dan zonder de werkgever's bijdrage wat ook niet op te brengen is.
Je studenten zouden niet zonder zorgverzekering moeten zitten. Of misschien is het in Georgia niet verplicht? Hier moeten ze bewijs laten zien dat ze via de ouders verzekerd zijn, anders moeten ze via de school de studentenverzekering afsluiten. Als kind (voor hun 18e)zouden ze ook niet zonder verzekering hoeven te zitten; elke staat is verplicht een stelsel te hebben om gratis kinderen te verzekeren als de ouders er geen hebben. Niet is hiermee bekend.
Er zijn de nodige trieste gevallen waar mensen te lang wachten, of bankroet gaan van een ziekenhuisopname. Aan de andere kant zijn er ook de nodige mensen die liever een nieuwe tv kopen dan een zorgverzekering. Bij ons wordt bij registratie gevraagd aan onverzekerden of ze gebeld willen worden om verzekeringsopties te bekijken; veel mensen willen dit niet.
Trouwens, een van de regels van Obama's zorgplan die al ingegaan is is dat kinderen tot hun 26e op hun ouder's verzekering kunnen blijven. Dat is een 'biggie', want dat is tevens de grootste groep onverzekerden, en de reden dat onze zoon momenteel verzekering heeft.
Wij hebben ook altijd goede verzekering gehad, en daarmee geluk gehad.
Allemaal hele goede punten, Annemiek. Overigens is het hier in Georgia dus niet verplicht voor studenten om een zorgverzekering te hebben. Weer een voorbeeld van hoe het per staat kan verschillen. Wel hebben we hier "peach care" - gratis (of heel goedkope) verzekering voor kinderen onder de 18.
Wat mij zo verbaasd is dat niet iedereen vindt dat iedereen een goede zorgverzekering moet hebben. Ik snap dat de wetten per staat verschillen, dat veel mensen ook zelf verantwoordelijk zijn voor hun problemen (geen geld uit willen geven aan een verzekering), maar wat ik niet snap is dat hier in het zuiden echt politici zijn die tegen een algemene zorgverzekering zijn. Dat druist zo in tegen mijn "peuterwaardes", dat ik daar niet bij kan.
Post a Comment