As of Saturday 12:30pm, I am once again a free woman. The minute commencement had ended, and I was able to take off the heavy and very cumbersome robe, and reveal to everyone in the office that I had stayed true to my word and worn shorts underneath my regalia, it was as though the sun started shining just for me. I think I may have even sung while walking down our hallway. In fact, I'm so elated that I've been walking around the house saying, "I'm free! I'm free!", much in the manner of Dr. Frankenstein when he first discovered his creation was alive.
Now, free is a relative term, of course. Summer school starts next week, and although I will only be teaching one online class, and one face-to-face class, it's still w-o-r-k, so it's not as though there's months and months of lazy emptiness in front me. But since all I have to say to months and months of nothing is something like "God please no", and I now have a week of absolutely nothing in front of me, I am a very happy woman.
Now for those of you who were worried that besides working seventy hours a week or more, I was still sticking my Dutch cleaning regimen, have no fear, I was not. Husband-dear has been taking over all of my domestic engineering responsibilities for the past month or so. Now although this man is a Godsend and has definitely earned his place in heaven, his cleaning abilities entail one talent I do not possess, namely the ability to let less important things go. Now although that ability did keep our family from imploding, or starving, or being without clothes in the past few weeks, it also means that currently all of our furniture is covered in a lavish layer of dust. However, rest assured, I was not planning on going on a complete nut-job cleaning spree, until I get this "woohoo freedom!" bug out of system.
So far, my planning for today and the next few days looks something like this:
Get up, get the kids to school, lay back down. Wake up at 8 because husband-dear calls, lay back down, but on the couch this time, so important programs such as Good Morning America and Ellen are not missed. Get up and eat breakfast. Maybe run a little. Call some people. Lay back down. Watch more important shows on channels such as Discovery, MTV, and the Comedy channel. Call some more people. Maybe get in the car and drive to meet some people, providing I'm up to it of course.
I have the feeling I will be sick of this by the end of the week But until then, no cleaning, no chores, no work. Nothing. I am a free woman now! Hear me roar. Well, actually not. That's too much work. Hear me snore.
3 comments:
Geniet van die welverdiende rust!
Ik dacht dat je ging vertellen dat je het huis zou gaan poetsen nu je de vrijheid hebt. Gelukkig niet!
Good for you! Sounds lovely. Watch plenty of important daytime TV for me. :-D
Hahaha Enjoy free woman! Enjoy!
You're so lucky to have a husband who is also a partner in household management. Well, you and I both:-)
Post a Comment