I know I've blogged about this before, but after a positively exhausting day, I figured this is something that could not be repeated often enough: Praise to all stay at home moms. I don't know how you all do it. After another day staying at home, with "nothing" to do but chores, errands, and taking care of kids and husband, I am exhausted. And the day isn't even over yet.
Getting husband-dear out the door in the morning is the easiest part. He's all grown up, and generally knows how to feed, dress, and get himself out the door. Although I do have to admit that from time to time, I do need to run after him with his lunchbag, gymbag, or ID. But, hey, I'm sure that's happened to all of us. Once the kids are up, it's a whole different ballgame. I used to have complete and utter admiration for friends who could fix breakfast for one kid with one hand, use the other to calm down a family pet or the baby, talk to child number 3 about school, and yell at child number four to hurry up and get out of the shower, but, hey, this morning I realized that although we only have two boys and one dog, I'm becoming pretty good at the whole balancing act too. I can make breakfast, set out lunch, get a kid up, feed the dog, and talk to our youngest about the weekend, all in the blink of a moment. In fact, today I even managed to squeeze a shower in there, is that amazing or what? And all this from someone who used to need an hour of silence, solitude, and a really long shower to get going in the morning.
Then, and this is what blows my mind away, once the kids are out the door, it just keeps on going! You would think that moms would pretty much be done once their offspring are gone, watch some Ellen, maybe a little Martha too, but no, with an empty house, every mom, and apparently me too now, realizes that this is the perfecttime for a) scrubbing the front porch, b) mopping the floors, c) doing laundry, d) deep-cleaining the kitchen, e) doing groceries, f) transferring files from the old computer to the new one, or g) all of the above. Even as a stay at home mom, I am an overachiever, hence I went for option g. Yay.
So now it's 2:40pm. Husband-dear and the kids are about twenty minutes away from coming home. I should have some peace and quiet. The key word here is should, as I just realized that the checkbook really needs to be balanced too. How do you all do this and stay sane? Why are there no more postal moms? In fact, why do we even talk about "go postal", when obviously this life would be enough to drive anyone over the edge, and there should be obviously be a phrase such as "go vaccuumy", or "go bleachy".
So let's forego all this silly holidays, an instate a holiday for the people who really do it all: A Stay At Home Mom (or Dad) Day. We could do it sometime in the spring, right in the middle of spring cleaning, and send all of our stay at home parents off to a spa, while everyone else takes over for a day. Sounds just wonderful...now I have to go as I just noticed our dog chewing on a picture album.....Zoe!
4 comments:
Je leert zo te lezen al aardig alle ballen in de lucht te houden. Bewonderenswaardig....
Moeders gunnen zich echt geen vrije dag, maar vraag een dagje moedervrij voor je verjaardag bijvoorbeeld.
Pretty hard to balance it all. Although I can perfectly leave things for another time and not try to do it all. Never option g for me :)
Call me lazy, but I know how to stay sane.
Opnieuw haha. Die dag verdienen stay at home moms zeker. Het lijkt mij echt ook heel zwaar.
Maar als ik alleen thuis ben, zoals dit weekend, dan geniet ik. En ik naai kleertjes. Of lees een boek.
En ik lap dus nooit de ramen. En ik poets ook nooit de porch. Dan maar vies. ;-)
I think that just one day doesn't cut it. I'd suggest at least three days, and with a bit of luck you'll get one day to REALLY relax.
I don't even have kids though I feel like I do, does that count too?
Post a Comment