Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Triathlonitis

Last August, signing up for a triathlon sounded like fun! A challenge! A nice break from all the running! A great way to keep me in shape over summer! Yay! Well, you can all take away the exclamation marks and the yays, because the triathlon is this Saturday, and all I can think about is how I. really. don't. want. to. do. it.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how this triathlon thing got started. I know it had something to do with my beloved friend Kay, who after having had two babies in two years wanted to get back into shape, and a second friend, Shelly, who always wanted to do the Disney triathlon. The two of them then somehow came to the conclusion that the three of us signing up for a local sprint triathlon would be an excellent solution to all the problems. And since I didn't want to rain on their well thought out plans, and May 30, 2009 seemed lightyears away, I signed up too. In the meantime, I wrecked my ITB, broke my toe, had to cancel a half marathon, had way more work than I had planned on having, and so the fact that I didn't have to spend all my time running, but actually had to alternate between three different branches of sport, sounded like a great solution to all my problems.

The three of us have spent the last few months swimming, running, biking, doing various combinations of all three, practicing our transitions, and up until about two weeks ago I was ready for it. And I don't just mean ready, I mean READY. I mean "HOOAH! LET'S KICK SOME BUTT!" ready.

But now, I don't know anymore. My last two swims have sucked, I have been too tired to run, and although husband-dear and I biked the 15 mile loop I'll be doing on the race on Monday, and it went very well, the lake looked positively scary, and felt freezing. Why anyone wants to swim in something cold, that has live beings in it, and that you can't see through is beyond me. Yet, somehow, I'll be doing just that in only a few days. I feel like a five-year old, but I really don't want to do it. I just know I'm going to suck. I'll get a flat tire. Or fall off my bike. Or get clobbered during the swim. Or I'll be unable to tie my shoelaces after swimming my butt off. Or I'll have to use the bathroom during the bike ride. Or I'll be so tired, I won't even be able to run the measly 5k at the end. So why did I sign up for this again? And why did it seem like such a good idea back then? Why can't I just be like all other people and just climb on a machine in the gym once in a while? Why do I have to do all these weird things to stay in shape? Why do I even care about staying in shape? Right now I just want to sit on my couch, each chips, and watch bad TV. But no, someone had to go and sign up for something hard. And it was dang expensive too, so it's not like I'll cancel. Please remind me to not do these things in the future. Thanks.

Oh, and if you're near Lake Tobesofkee on Saturday morning, and you hear a lot of cussing, that's probably me.

5 comments:

Bibi said...

Oh I'm sure you'll do great after all the training. At least you'll feel so much better once it's behind you no matter what the outcome is.
All I know is that I will NEVER sign up for something silly like that ;-) LOL!

+fB said...

I will make sure to talk you out of stuff like this in the future... as though you would listen to me!

Is this for a good cause, or will you at least get a photo of yourself after the triathlon? So you can always remember THAT ONE TIME when you forgot how to tie your own shoelaces, got bit by a fish, and wet yourself on the bike. Ah, what fond memories you'll have... I'm just jealous.

Petra said...

You're my hero! I just couldn't do the swimming part. Not only the cold water, but also all those arms and legs on top of each other. But you'll do great and then you'll be feeling good about the accomplishment. Good luck!

Annemiek said...

Goooood Luck!!!!!
Alleen al om het vol te maken is een overwinning!

Our Family said...

hahaha I am not going to tell you what I am thinking for you next! I cant wait to see you accomplish this, I know you can....You inspire me!