I finally caved in two days ago. I could not take it any longer. No more! I was tired of wondering what to eat for breakfast, did not want to rifle through the yellow pages looking for yet another local Asian store which might carry my beloved Indonesian spices, and was done feeling like my enamel was going to melt away while eating really sour or super sweet candy. So I gave in. I went online, to a store very aptly called "the little Dutch girl" and ordered about $50 worth of Dutch candy, Indonesian spices, and Brinta.
Don't know Brinta? Shame on you! And if you give me $1, I'll even let you try a bowl. Well, maybe half a bowl. How about a spoonful?
Anyway. I've been checking my doorstep every hour, hoping that the UPS man will show up with my box of goodies. I can't wait!
Now I know that every Dutch person and their dog orders Dutch food online, and that I was possibly the last holdout, but I just never wanted to go there. It felt needy, dependent. As though I couldn't make it on my own in a far off country. So I always told myself I would never order from one of these Dutch American online stores. After all, when I lived abroad as a kid, we didn't have Internet, and we did just fine living off what people sent us. I learned to like the local goodies, and got over my craving for Dutch stuff. So when we moved to Georgia, I was going to tough it out. I had made it without ever having to order anything when living up in New England and in Texas, so I was going. To. Be. Fine. Thank.You.
My resolve lasted almost two years. Two years of begging friends, family, and at times, almost total strangers, to send me Dutch stuff. Two years of trying to like Sweet Tarts, Spree, and Skittles as much as Schuimbanaantjes, Manneke Pisjes, Bruine Boerderijdrop, and Tikkels. And I lost the battle. And you know what? I don't care. With our next trip to Holland probably about a year away, I needed my Dutch goodies. Now.
Now please excuse me while I go and see if I can track my package online. Who knows, it may get here today!
7 comments:
Smalelijk!
Ok, dat moet smakelijk zijn :)
LOL, there is nothing shameful about ordering schuim banaantjes and Brinta. Enjoy!
(I've still not ordered anything ;-))
Ik hoop maar voor je dat het snel binnenkomt! :-)
Jakkie, Brinta! Daar moet je mij een dollar voor betalen om het te proberen ;). The Little Dutch Girl gebruik ik ook weleens. Het komt vast snel ;).
Laat de douane pakjes met snoep door? Ik zal het uitzoeken en dan sturen we je wel wat op, zo af en toe als verrassing....
Yuk! Brinta! Dat vond ik als kind al vies, en ik vermoed dat dat nooit beter is geworden. Gelukkig houden mensen zoals jij de Brinta-fabriek overeind :-)
Geen stroopwafels besteld??
Post a Comment