Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The misery of quilts

When I first met husband-dear, the first thing I noticed about his house, besides the hideous blue couch that dominated his living room, was the number of handmade quilts that were haphazardly strewn around the place. They were not just on every bed, they were also found on the back of the aforementioned couch, on chairs, pretty much everywhere else. When I asked husband-dear about all his quilts, he told me his mother, his grandmothers, and his great grandmothers were all avid quilters. Some of the quilts had been made by his grandmother, some by his mother, and a few were multi-generational quilts, with great-grandmother providing the pieces, grandmother piecing them, and mother doing the actual quilting. I fell in love with all of those little works of art almost as fast as I fell for husband-dear. They made for great cuddling, looked awesome on any bed, and most importantly, hid the bare spots on that hideous blue couch.

As time went on, and I met husband-dear's mother, she continued to give us more and more quilts: baby quilts for the boys, a wedding quilt, quilts left in her attic from when husband-dear was a small boy, and quilts from her recently deceased mother. At one point, we had so many quilts lying around, the kids would use them to build fortresses, and there would still be enough left to give each guest their own handmade quilt to use. Looking back, it was a blissful, and especially warm time. A time that has since passed, unfortunately.

You see, since we moved to Georgia, my mother-in-law, who, may the record show, is an incredibly sweet and talented woman, has been over to visit a lot more than before, and has thus been a first-hand witness to the treatment given to her quilts. And unfortunately, that treatment was often less than respectful. There was the old blue-and-white quilt that grandma W. made at least sixty years ago, that our oldest loved dragging around. He would sleep with it, wrap himself in it eating breakfast, and drag it into the bathroom. As a result of all this loving, the pieces had started to come apart, and when my husband-dear's mom noticed this, she asked us to put that specific quilt up, as it was the only quilt made by grandma W. owned by our family. As a dutiful daughter-in-law, I obliged, and put the quilt in a pillowcase (apparently a plastic bag does not allow the quilt to breathe, which can cause the material to grow mildewy), in one of our closets.

If that had been it as far as putting quilts up, that would have been fine, but unfortunately, it was not. During her next visit, I made the mistake of asking my mother-in-law if she could fix a tear in the quilt on our bed.
"Well, I think so. But you know..." My heart sank, and indeed, there it was, "That is a quilt made by grandma Brown, and it really shouldn't be used. It's so old, it's really just for show."
So that quilt was put up to, and I had to head to Target that day to purchase a new blanket for our bed.

The next time that grandma came over, she noticed that grandma W.'s three-generational quilt was on the guest bed, and that, of course, was also a no-no. Even though I promised her it was taken off and put in a pillowcase after every guest left, and they were asked to use the blankets and comforters on the bed only, it was no good. And on it went. Husband-dear's baby quilts were really too precious, and wasn't it a shame to let the kids wear their own baby quilts out to pieces? So as of this summer, none of our quilts are "in use". They're either on one of several quilt racks, or tucked away in pillowcases throughout the house.

And as I was telling my mother-in-law this Christmas, I really do understand. I do. The quilts are part of our family history. It just sucks when it gets cold, because now the only thing we have to keep ourselves warm is one Ikea fleece blanket. One. Yet, we're drowning in quilts left and right. The other day when I wanted to put a pillow up in our closet, I had three quilts fall on my head, and I've run out of pillowcases because they're all in use keeping our quilts safe. But when we're cold and want to cuddle, we're forced to drag our comforters off our beds. It's sad. Now I suppose I could ask her to quilt another blanket for us to use, but I think I can see what's coming there in a month or two as well.

4 comments:

Elmosplace said...

Hoe durf je ze ook te gebruiken! ;-)

Ik zou maar snel een stapel bij de Ikea bestellen..

Annemiek said...

I can see both sides. They are a lot of work to make, and some are heirlooms, but to have them in a bag where you can't see them is a shame too.
My mom became an avid quilter about 25 years ago. I got the first big quilt she made when our second was born. I like it a lot, and I put it to use on our bed, and now the guest bedroom. There are some loose pieces, too bad, but you also can't save everything and keep it looking as good as ever.
Oh, and I have a green/white crochet blanket from Micky's mom. Nice and warm, but I wish she had used different colors! So that one is out of sight somewhere, for when either she visits or I start liking the colors :)

Steeph said...

The quilts are on the guilt rack...

Reminds me of the old habit here of having a special set of plates and cutlery and all the for special occasions. This would never be used and would be just for display in a special cabinet.
Such a waste of money and effort and what not! If you have stuff I think you should use it, otherwise it seems pointless to me.

Riet said...

Wist je dat er ook in Nederland steeds meer quilters bijkomen en dat ook hier veel quilts voor de sier zijn en niet gebruikt worden, maar als kunst aan de muur hangen. Maar ik vind dat je ze moet gebruiken waar ze voor zijn, namelijk je er lekker in te rollen om je aangenaam warm te houden.