Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A touch of Christmas

Christmas has come to the DixieChick house at last.

This past weekend was spent in the merry spirit of the yuletide season, and as there was no treegate this year, no windowgate, and not even an ornamentgate (oh, for the blessings of a blended family), I can honestly say it went perfectly. Everyone picked their favorite ornaments, reminisced about when and how each one was acquired, and agreed that the red wooden ornaments recently acquired at Ikea were a wonderful addition to our tree.

Below are a few pictures of the spirit of Christmas that has overtaken our house. Since I absolutely love this season, I can pretty much guarantee you that more are on the way.

A close-up of our Christmas tree. The main color has always been red, but with the red hearts (courtesy of a recent trip to Ikea), everything came out even better. In this picture, you can see the ornament that husband-dear and I picked out this year ("have faith" seemed an appropriate theme for the past few months), as well as one of husband-dear's childhood ornaments.



Looking at pictures of last year, I decided that our mantle really needed a little "je ne sais quoi". That "je ne sais quoi" turned out to be a lit garland, and after several fruitless trips to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Target, and Walmart, husband-dear, in another one of his truly practical and brilliant moments, suggested buying a plain garland, separate lights, and other ornaments, and creating my own garland. Although it took me two tries (see Sunday's blog), I'm very pleased with the finalr result.


And even our horribly hideous light fixtures, which would do well in a boudoir, and which our boys call the "hanging ta-tas-"( is that inappropriate?), and which we've been meaning to replace since the moment we first laid eyes on them, but simply haven't gotten around to (it probably helps that they're over our heads, and so we rarely see them, as we tend to look forward and not up), even those ugly golden things got into the Christmas spirit.

So yes, Christmas has come to middle Georgia. Let's break out the eggnog!

3 comments:

Elke said...

Heerlijk toch, zo'n kerstsfeer! En die guirlande ziet er heel mooi uit.
Zo, jij woont dus in the house with the hanging ta-ta's. LOL! Een geweldig passende naam vind ik dat. Misschien nieuwe verlichting op je kerstlijstje plaatsen?

Annemiek said...

Hanging ta-ta's, hilarious!
Nice decorations.

Bibi said...

Very beautiful and gezellig! LOL Hanging ta-ta's, very funny!
I'm also in the mood and have done some decorating. Can't wait to move our recently acquired rowing machine to the basement so I can take some christmas pics.