People, let's get this straight once and for all. Thanksgiving comes before Christmas. Thanksgiving is in November, Christmas is in December. That means that yes, Thanksgiving comes first. That means that although some of you with family overseas and an almost neurotic desire to ensure their gifts get to them on time, will shop for Christmas gifs before Thanksgiving, most of you will wait until Black Friday. Or Cyber Monday. Or Manic Tuesday. Or shop-till-you-drop Wednesday, or whatever other crazy invention the retail industry has come up with. The bottom line, however, is that Christmas does not start until -after- Thanksgiving. Give thanks first, then become a materialistic glutton obsessed with Christmas trees and smelly candles.
It seems like such a simple concept. You hang up your fall wreath in October, put out your pumpkins, your scarecrows, your bales of hay, and whatever else strikes your fancy, then take them down after the last Thursday in Thanksgiving, and go nuts with your Christmas decorations. Easy, right?
Then someone please tell me why, when I went shopping for Thanksgiving napkins and a center piece this weekend, every single store I went to no longer carried Thanksgiving paraphernalia, and had since stocked their shelves with Singing Santas, replacement Christmas lights, and candy canes? One store employee even had the gall to tell me that I was doing that kind of shopping "kinda late". Now I don't mean to be a Sheldon here, but this past Saturday, Thanksgiving was five days away. Shopping for anything five days prior to the event does not qualify as a "kinda late". Trying to find a copy of the latest Twilight DVD on Christmas Even, that is "kinda late". And if we take America's general inability to look further the next elections as a standard, I was actually positively early.
People, it's thanksgiving. The season to give thanks and eat lots of turkey and casserole dishes. That means I don't want to see nativity scenes, Christmas trees, or reindeer in anyone's front yard, porch, store display, or shopping aisle until November 26. I'm serious.
2 comments:
I was in Honolulu last week where they had the Christmas decorations up!!
Mona.
Kmart had their Christmas decorations out before Halloween. Crazy.
Post a Comment