There are not a lot of shows on TLC that husband-dear will watch with me. In fact, up until a few weeks ago, there were none. He has absolutely no desire to watch brides-to-be spend an entire year's worth of mortgage payments on a wedding gown, or to watch a mother punch out child number 22. Or 23. Now I may lose my degree over this, but I love nothing more than watching women deal with a hundred children or the decision between satin or silk. I can feel braincells dying off as I watch these shows, but watching them is so relaxing, it's almost addictive.
Anyway, since a week or so, and actually as I'm typing this, my strong, tall, and manly man is watching TLC with me. And this is not a "O-M-G I am going to die but I'll watch it because I love you" watching. No, this is a "Oh good, we get to see the season finale after all, I wonder how it turned out with her walking away". And the show in question? Sister Wives.
For those of unfamilar with this show, Sister Wives is about a polygamous Mormon family; Kody the husband, three wives, a fourth on the way, and approximately sixteen children. It's indescribable. And that is really why husband-dear watches it. Sure, if you ask him he will give you some spiel about every man's dream, but in reality, he is as fascinated as I am. I mean, we just sat through a scene where husband, wife #1-#3 and fiancee (wife to be #4) tried wedding cake together and took a vote on which one to use for wedding #4. How often do you see that on national television?
I'm not sure what the result of bringing polygamy into mainstream American consciousnes will be. A general acceptance that perhaps the Fundamentalist Mormons are on to something, and the bible does command men to marry multiple wives, followed by an exponential increase in polygamy in the bible belt? Or will that same bible belt decide that Utah has really lost touch with Christian values, and start sending Christian missionaries out west? In all honesty, I'm not even sure -why- TLC would air such a show. Did the production assistant who came up with this concept decide it was high time to shed a positive light on polygamy after all the bad press it had been receiving since the fiasco in Texas?
Whatever the reason or the consequences, it is fascinating. And I honestly still don't understand why any man, or woman, would opt for the euphemistically named "multiple marriage". One is enough for me.
2 comments:
"Now I may lose my degree over this, but I love nothing more than watching women deal with a hundred children or the decision between satin or silk"
Just keep saying you watch the show from a professional stance. That's what I do when I watch socially not acceptable shows (and yes, 'Say Yes To the Dress' is the WORST ;) ).
" In all honesty, I'm not even sure -why- TLC would air such a show."
For the same reason they broadcast shows like Say yes to the Dress and the one with all the children: people will talk about it -> money for them. I don't think any show on TLC would get aired if they didn't know pretty darn sure it could be their next cash cow. As you can see, my opinion of the network isn't that high ;)
I have been interested in this particular show though, and with that TLC did what it's best at, lure people in with controversial shows (or wedding dresses).
I've never seen it, but I'm going to have to start watching!
Post a Comment