...you know, run 13.1 miles.
After all, I'd trained for a half marathon once before, two years ago, with disastrous results. I think my left ITB refused to speak to me for months after that. Then, of course, I decided to break my toe, and that was enough to put me off long-distance running for a good year.
Instead, I decided to throw myself into triathlons and adventure racing, where any running is limited to at most 6 miles, which is, when compared to a half marathon, a positively breeze of a run. More importantly, these runs are always conveniently scheduled out after your body has received an invigorating work out in the shape of swimming, biking, canoeing, building tipis, shooting a bow and arrow, or navigating through an obstacle course. And, in my case, a warmed up body equals an injury free body (and before you all go stating the obvious, no, I will not ride my bike twenty miles before a half marathon training just so I don't get hurt. Because that's just really insane).
But for those of you who know me (and if you've read three of my posts on my blog, you pretty much do), you know that I can't just let something as monumental as a half marathon go. In some respects, I'm really very much like a terrier, or, if you're feeling a little snippy today, a pit-bull, as once I get a hold of something, I have hard time letting go. Honestly, the only reason I have a PhD is not because I'm that smart (I'm not), or have these great original ideas (I don't), but just because I don't know how to quit.
So last October, I secretly started training for the same half marathon I was training for two years ago. And of course, once I hit the nine mile mark, my body started to show signs it was less than thrilled with this long-distance running. Fortunately, this time, I had a plan: A more flexible training schedule. And ice baths. Lots and lots of ice baths. Oh yes, and let's not forget the rolling pin. Had you stopped by our house on any regular night in the past two months, you might have had the opportunity to behold the interesting tableau of me squirming on the living room floor, while husband-dear rolled a rolling pin down my lower body, asking me if this was "Hard enough".
I'll admit, there's a slight possibility that my desire to finish this half marathon might have gotten a little out of hand. Just a little.
And although I ended up running with not one, but two ITB straps, and had to take two ibuprofen while racing, I did it. Finally. I ran 13.1 miles, beat my goal of finishing in 1:57 by four minutes, and am now the proud owner of a real half marathon medal. And two very unhappy knees.
So. Was it all worth it? Of course! (and, just so you know, cognitive dissonance is preventing me from saying anything else). Will I ever run a marathon? I don't think so. But hey, with me, hope springs eternal.
Now you have to excuse me as I need to go look for that rolling pin again.
3 comments:
It seems like I've been reading for an eternity; why didn't I get on your blog sooner? I want to see some pictures. Will there be any?
COngratulations!
Ik doe het je niet na!
Like! Wat ben jij een doorzetter, van harte:-)!
Post a Comment