Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Fighting the good fight

INT. STUDIO-DAY
Medium black-and-white shot of elementary school-aged GIRL who is obviously overweight. The GIRL looks straight into the camera before speaking
GIRL
(sad)
I don't like going to school. 
All the kids laugh and poke fun at me. 
They tell me I'm fat

CUT TO
Black screen with white words spelling out "Stop sugarcoating the truth, Georgia"

(O.S)
Stop sugarcoating the truth, Georgia

CUT TO
Black screen with red words spelling out "Stop-childhood-obesity.org"

CUT.

This is what I imagined the script looks like for the Public Service Announcement that I caught on television last night. 

As you know, I'm all about fighting obesity. I make my kids eat healthy foods, I offer my students extra credit for running a 5k, and I just love talking people into doing a triathlon with me (Mary, head's up, you're next). So this past week, I've been elated to hear GPB's special on how Georgia schools have attempted to curb childhood obesity by providing healthier lunches and more comprehensive PE programs. However, to say this PSA did little for me would be an understatement. Let's just say my blood pressure probably shot up a few points as I, very vocally, questioned the producers' sanity.

Although it's definitely possible that I'm slightly prejudiced by past events, but this PSA left me with the clear message that if you're bullied because you're overweight, then obviously the solution is to lose weight. Not to punish the bullies. Or address bullying in your class. No. You're being bullied, and well, you are kinda chunky, so, yeah, you're the one who needs to change. So on top of suffering from low self-esteem, a myriad of insecurities, and probably social anxieties due to the bullying, we're now also going to give you a nice life-long inferiority complex about your weight.

And obviously that's the right thing to do.

People, we need to fight obesity. We do. Everyone knows this. But can please shy away from bullying kids into wanting to lose weight? Can we maybe use a more, I don't know, constructive approach? You know, one where we talk about the dangers of being overweight, the good feeling you get from exercising, and how healthy foods can taste really good? And could we perhaps also produce a PSA on, sheesh, I don't know, how bullying overweight children is really not cool? It seems that in a country where bullied children still commit suicide far too often, there is a dire need for that as well.

I'm not sure what these well-paid executives were thinking, but if this had been turned for the PSA assignment my students had to complete last semester, they would have failed.

Shame.


3 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

I haven't seen the commercial, but I saw several of the life-size advertisements for it (can't remember where I saw them), and my blood pressure rose, too.

I actually felt sorry and angry for the children who are "models" for the campaign; I can only imagine the hurt feelings and ridicule that comes along with being part of the campaign.

And you're completely right: spend money on health education and more time on bullying. Spend more time with the PARENTS buying children fast and fried food—childhood obesity had to come from somewhere, because the last time I checked, kids don't drive themselves to McDonald's or Zaxby's.

I love that you give extra credit for participating in a 5k! Great post.

Annemiek said...

Everybody that gets bullied because they have red hair: change hair color! Not really the answer. Childhood obesity is a problem of many causes and needs multiple solutions. It is not just the parents, or just the school lunches.
Making them feel bad so they loose weight is not the answer!
Boy, I see some kids these days, they are heading straight for a heart attack, and it so sad! 17 years old and 300 pounds, it is scary!

DixieChick said...

Jess> I'm so glad you saw the ads too, I've only seen it once, and thought it was me :)It's crazy, isn't it?

Annemiek> it is a very complicated problem, and really requires a much more comprehensive approach, food, exercise, educating parents, annual physicals. But, yes, something needs to be done, because the trend is really alarming.