Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

On tea

While writing my post yesterday, I realized that I wasn’t being completely fair by describing myself as some sort of international chameleon. After all, I do have certain behaviors and characteristics that are so “me”, that I can’t imagine changing them, no matter how often they amuse or confuse people down here.

Drinking tea would be one of those things. And by tea, I don’t mean “iced tea”, I mean “hot tea”. You know, the kind where you boil water, add a teabag, add a little milk, and then, wait for it, wait for it,…drink it while it is still hot. Yes, I drink tea while it’s still warm, with a touch of milk. In my opinion, nothing is as refreshing, cooling, or soothing as a nice mug of hot tea. In fact, “Shall I boil you some water” is an expression used in our house that indicates that you must be either really tired, incredibly crabby, or in need of some real comfort.

However, I can’t tell you how many times southerners freak out when I tell them I drink hot tea in the morning, as opposed to coffee. Now coffee is as much a staple down here as it is pretty much everywhere else. However, I do have the feeling that of all the places I have lived, the locals here are least open to the idea of someone having a hot beverage besides coffee in the morning. Juice, sure, if you’re a health freak. Milk, well, if you’re over the age of 16, people may look at you funny, but it’s still alright. Coke, hey, anything to wake you up in the morning. But hot tea? No. That is just plain odd.

Southerners appear equally amused by the fact that I much prefer hot tea in the afternoon to “sweet tea”, or a soda, or juice, or water. I can’t tell you how many times people, while opening their third can of something really unhealthy, have told me that drinking too much caffeine will apparently “dry me out”. Hmmm…if that is true, then I should have turned into a prune a long time ago. And whenever I request a cup of “hot tea” in a restaurant, I at times almost feel bad for those waiters who look at me as though the sky has just come crashing down, and then spend a good ten minutes trying to desperately figure out how to meet this request.

But I will not give in. I am standing tall, and for all those tea-drinkers among us, I say: join in on the tea-volution!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nou meid, ik begin mijn dag met een halve liter thee bij mijn ontbijt hoor. Letterlijk dus. In zo'n Starbucks-citymug. Past er precies in en ik ga de deur niet uit voor de thee op is. Maar ja, dit is Nederland he?

+fB said...

Earl Grey? Green tea? Cinnamon? Please divulge!

Caffeine is a necessity... while coffee is preferable, we will try to tolerate your hot-tea-drinking ways, Nederlander.

Annemiek said...

Can't join you on that quest... sorry ...

Petra said...

Yup, ook hier thee in de morgen, met een scheutje melk.
Dacht het ook in de VS te doen.
Ewwwww, thee met chloor is niet te drinken. In de koffie proef ik het niet zo. Maar dat zal deze zomer toch echt anders moeten. Niets is lekkerder in de zomer dan een gloeiend hete kop thee.

kastelke said...

Ik zal een keer bij je op de thee komen! Maar dan zonder melk voor mij. En "echte" thee, niet al die fruit- en andere varianten.
Frisdrank? Een keer per maand of zo. Veel te zoet. Liefst thee of plat water. Of rode wijn!!!
(die kunnen we dan na de thee drinken, hahaha)

Anonymous said...

O ja, heerlijk, thee! Ik sleep het nog steeds mee uit Nederland elke zomer: Albert Heyn Engelse melange, Pickwick kaneelthee (mijn favoriet), diverse Pickwick vruchtentheetjes..... ik heb een Bodum theepot en een theelichtje van Xenos (waar iedereen altijd met grote ogen naar kijkt "what is THAT?"), en als ik een dag de luxe heb om thuis te werken...... een grote pot thee om de dag mee te beginnen en binnen een uur of drie: leeg. En natuurlijk met dat scheutje melk!