Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Simple pleasures

Small things are highly underrated. You know, those little unexpected events that can really make or break your day. Somehow, those things never really get mentioned. The comments I get on this blog, for instance, can really make me happy. On the other hand, that time our sprinkler system was still on, covering the driveway in a heavy rain, when I walked to my car did not make me very happy.

Living in another country means that there are a lot of new little things. Little happy occasions that can make you smile or annoying incidences that make you break out into hives of frustration. I’ve mentioned some of the latter in previous blogs: bugs, the roundabout way of talking, and the lack of fog lights in cars. But there are a host of little things that are actually really good.

Like the wonderful scent that I can only associate with springtime in the south. Recently, our entire town seems to smell of honeysuckle. We’ve taken to driving through town with the windows rolled down so that this thick sweet scent can just waft into our car. The campus also smells of all the flowers that have been planted alongside the buildings, which makes for a lovely arrival at work each morning. Although I spent most of my life living in the country known for its flowers, I can’t say that spring has ever smelled this good.

Or how about coming home from a very long and tiring day, full of unhappy students, and then having your neighbors offer you a glass of wine and some chocolate. I have lived in many different places, but this is the first time we've met a set of neighbors who were that welcoming. It’s just so nice to have people wave at you and ask how your day was (or in some cases even why you got home so late) whenever you pull into your cul-de-sac. I’m not sure if this is a southern thing, or just an American thing, but it definitely puts a smile on my face.

And then there are the students how come in to your office to just say “hello” and “thank you for the semester”, the people you don’t know in the hallways who still smile and say hello, the fact that it’s almost always sunny down here, and the sound of crickets chirping at night. Yes, since I’ve moved my life has gotten a whole lot crazier. But there are many, many little happy moments that make up for it.

5 comments:

Monique (Nieuwen Oord) said...

Zucht, dat klinkt zo heerlijk allemaal. Het zijn juist die dingen die me soms doen verlangen naar een leven in Amerika. Maar anderzijds: we hebben het hier ook zo goed! Gelukkig is Amerika er elk jaar weer voor een fantastische vakantie. The Deep South staat nog op het verlanglijstje, 2010 ..., denk ik!

Groet,
Monique

+fB said...

I couldn't agree more - though I wish I was the poet you are. I've found that taking time to marvel at the little magic things in the world is necessary for sanity and quality of life. :)

Petra said...

Ook wij hebben een heel leuke buurt en iedereen kent iedereen, heerlijk vind ik dat. Als ik wandel of fiets groet iedereen, waar ik langs kom en zoveel mensen lopen met smiles op hun gezicht. Ik denk weleens, dat het misschien het klimaat is, het is hier tenslotte meestal zonnig.

kastelke said...

Als ik 's morgens wakker wordt van het gekwetter van de vogeltjes, of wanneer ik de hond 's avonds slapen leg en ik hoor het kikkerconcert in de poel achter onze tuin... dan voel ik mij heel gelukkig vanbinnen.
Maar als ik dan terugwandel naar het huis, en ik kijk naar de sterren boven me, dan denk ik meerdere keren per week vol weemoed "ik wou dat ik van deze sterrenhemel in Amerika kon genieten"... (en verdomme, waar blijven die vallende sterren?! 't Is zoals met meer dingen: als je ze nodig hebt, zijn ze niet te zien).

Annemiek said...

Het zijn de kleine dingen, eigenlijk zijn ze niet eens zo klein.